Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What engines will bolt up in an exploder?

Greywolf

I have a reason to wonder.

A four wheel drive explorer specifically, and how tuff are the trans case and axles? (In terms of horsepower)

Todd had a 6.0 he made an exploder a while back...

Oh.... IN an exploder...

Fellro

Staff member
The old 28 and 29 will bolt, but you would have a problem with the wiring. If you don't care about that, then have at it... the 4.0 is a common add in on the older stuff with the 2.8 or 2.9.

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
if i remember correctly the 4.0L which came in all explorers has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 2.9L. But there would be no reason to swap to a smaller engine and the 4.0 is considered by many as a more dependable engine. I've seen many people but the 5.0's (302) in it, but have never done myself. The 2.8L has a different bolt up pattern i think and it a carbed engine, so the wiring would be funky since the 4.0 and 2.9 are both FI.

As far as the axle, you should have the 8.8 with the 31 spline, as compared to the (weaker) 28 spline 8.8 in some rangers. They can be built pretty tough plus there are plenty of aftermarket lockers and such for it. I have no clue about the Transfer case. I never had a problem with mine when i had my Bronco II (put through all hell and back) and my ranger. not sure if the splorers has the same transfercase.

oh and you should also have a dana 35 ttb axle up front which should be fine if you aren't heavy on the foot if you have lots of HP and Torque.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The 302's came with AWD, instead of 4wd, if memory serves correctly (though I have heard of at least one 2wd with the 302...). Not sure what, if any, difference that would make.

I do know that getting motor mounts from a 302 Explorer/Mountaineer is usually considered the easiest way to stuff said motor into a Ranger.

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
the 5.0L was only stock in the newer models. Doesn't Brian's explorer have a 5.0L? if Greywolf has a earlier model (early 90's) then its not a direct bolt in

*never mind it was Brain's old ranger I was thinking of that had the 302 in it i think.

Last edited:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
The 5.0 model used a 4r70w tranny as opposed to the 4r44e used with 2.3 and 3.0, the the 4r55e was used with the 4.0 engine. As far as the T-case im not 100% but I think if you use the 5.0 setup you get a all wheel drive t-case. So it would require you to find a complete donor setup engine trans, tcase and electronics.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
if i remember correctly the 4.0L which came in all explorers has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 2.9L. The 2.8L has a different bolt up pattern i think and it a carbed engine, so the wiring would be funky since the 4.0 and 2.9 are both FI.

the 2.8 and the 2.9 share the same bellhousing bolt pattern. the wiring for the 2.8 carbed enigine is simple duraspark it or go with a points style setup.
Not sure the 2.8 would pull a Explorer around to well not enough Hp or torque.

Smokey nailed it again. I took a C5 from a 2.8 and bolted it to my 2.9. The 4.0 OHV and the 4.0 SOHC also have the same bolt pattern.

The 5.0 explorers were all wheel drive. Not 4X4. Although there have been tons of t-case swaps done from full size trucks into them making them 4X4s.

The 4.0 SOHC (like mine) has the 5R55E transmission behind it. I think they dropped the 4R when they went the SOHC route.

I believe the computer controls for the engines and transmissions is where the big issue comes in. Bolting up is one thing. Making them play nice together is another.

The 8.8 is fairly stout. The jeep guys are constantly buying them for their off-roaders.

No clue what year explorer you are asking about. The 95-01 have a torsion bar front suspension. The "B" bars are supposedly the stoutest (which I have). I have seen a few of them broken. They were horribly mistreated though.

The earlier explorer (90-94) had a D 35 front axle. It is stouter than the older ranger/B II D28, but I don't know how well it holds up off road.

Have any specific questions?

The total off road explorers usually get a V8 and the D44/9" from the 89 (somewhere around there) full size broncos. They remain full width as well.

The later ones (no clue on model numbers) are electric shift. Not hooked to the computer, just a switch and a "shift motor" on the side of the T-case. I am only refering to the explorer ones. I know nothing about the full size ones.

If you can find them...the first gen explorers (only a few) came with a 1354 manual shift T-case. Most were electric shift and I am almost positive all the 2nd gen ones are. I believe the 2nd gen ones are a totally different number as well.

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
the 2.8 and the 2.9 share the same bellhousing bolt pattern. the wiring for the 2.8 carbed enigine is simple duraspark it or go with a points style setup.
Not sure the 2.8 would pull a Explorer around to well not enough Hp or torque.

so all three share the same bellhousing bolt pattern?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts