Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1953 F-100

I just joined up! (sounds a little military, huh!), I should introduce myself.
I have been a car nut since my youth. going to the drags at about 8-9 years old. It left a firm impression on me. It's been a little awkward working on cars as I have Cerebral Palsy. I have done what ever I could and had assistance with the rest.
Now I have a 1967 SPE Dragster, which crashed last year, so it's apart now for a rebuild as money & time arrive. I currently have a 1930 "A" model coupe and a 1949 Ford sedan along with the two trucks. However, I've no money like most people.
I have an F-100 (1953) and a F-350 Dually (1996). The F100 has been started with a Volare front clip, and a switch to a later 9" rear. My plan is to put a 302/auto in it and Aftermarket gauges. I plan on putting Minivan rear leafs (Dodge) for a better ride. New wiring & Glass, then some new seating.

My questions: Do any of you have an opinion (!!) as to which seats would be good in a '53 F100?
What is the best (for cheapest) wiring co. to buy from?
I am going to put in "custom" gauges, but I can't see paying $100 + for an aluminum 5 hole panel, So, How hard is it to cut a plastic panel, or Wood, or sheet metal to fit? Do I remove the original panel and simply trace around it on the replacement piece then just bolt it in , or is there something I don't know about that makes it not such a good idea?
I will post pictures when I get them reduced down to fit.

My seats for my '56 are from a 2002 Buick, bought off ebay. Split bench seat with the shoulder belts built into the seat. I had to modify the seat control circuits. The passenger side was no problem, just connect power and ground. The drivers side is another story...
The drivers side controls go through a circuit board which controls the seat position from memory. I had to bypass the memory circuits and connect the controls directly to the relays on the board to control the position of the seat.

I'm also using an EZ Wiring 21 circuit harness.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Site!
We have a few great guys here, and the rest are awesome!
BrianB should be around soon, and he has a unique guage-mounting system that looks like it was made for his '56!
Enjoy your time here, and feel free to shoot at the squirrels!

Did anybody notice where Spike is from? Billings.....Hell, he's Gunner's neighbor, or at least neighborhood.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Welcome theres a few Oldies cruise around here > and not just there owners ...

Sorry that I've not been around to reply to the suggestions for seating, etc. I live "outside" billings, if that helps me get out of a "bad' elements neighborhood. (LOL) I've been at the Springfield Auto Swap Meet (looking for parts), Then I went to Mokan Saturday for the HAMBdrags. If you missed it, YOU MISSED a great day at the races. I was very upset with myself as I walked out & drove off leaving my C A M E R A!!! That was DUMB!!! Luckily I know a photographer there taking pictures. I'm spread way too thin, getting parts & labor set up to get my SPE car "Excalibre" back together so we can get back out & make some Noise & Smoke! While that's going on I will be getting the F-100 running, Then, I start repairing the damage done to my '49 Ford sedan in the Ice Storm two winters ago. While the utilities ere out for 10 days and buried in Ice, Snow, & Broken tree limbs (about 60 trees worth).
Unluckily the sedan was hit by a huge limb that bent the top & passenger windshield area. As I said it's been a ride that I wish on no one.
BTW, does anyone have a used 4-bbl aluminum intake manifold (302) that they will sell ? I have already got a Volare front clip that steers beautifully. It has a truck 9" rear redrilled to 4 1/2" pattern. I'll write in a couple of days, hopefully with pictures. Spike

Ha... I was there at MoKan too..... but I watch from across the road in a friend's front yard. I live about 5 miles from there. You want me to check with security about your camera?

Sorry that I've not been around to reply to the suggestions for seating, etc. I live "outside" billings, if that helps me get out of a "bad' elements neighborhood. (LOL) I've been at the Springfield Auto Swap Meet (looking for parts), Then I went to Mokan Saturday for the HAMBdrags. If you missed it, YOU MISSED a great day at the races. I was very upset with myself as I walked out & drove off leaving my C A M E R A!!! That was DUMB!!! Luckily I know a photographer there taking pictures. I'm spread way too thin, getting parts & labor set up to get my SPE car "Excalibre" back together so we can get back out & make some Noise & Smoke! While that's going on I will be getting the F-100 running, Then, I start repairing the damage done to my '49 Ford sedan in the Ice Storm two winters ago. While the utilities ere out for 10 days and buried in Ice, Snow, & Broken tree limbs (about 60 trees worth).
Unluckily the sedan was hit by a huge limb that bent the top & passenger windshield area. As I said it's been a ride that I wish on no one.
BTW, does anyone have a used 4-bbl aluminum intake manifold (302) that they will sell ? I have already got a Volare front clip that steers beautifully. It has a truck 9" rear redrilled to 4 1/2" pattern. I'll write in a couple of days, hopefully with pictures. Spike

Sounds cool. I was told the swapmeet had a lot of old F-100 parts...after it was over. Just my timing I guess. :(

Hope to see pics soon. :wavey:

It wasn't a great loss + AWB + other stuff

Thanks, but it was a cheep one. I'm sure it's long gone. I miss the picsI enjoyed the Stude AWB. Injected BBC, jacked up, Gold Flake, The injectors sitting inside a notch in the w-shield. Looked a lot like the early 60's beginning of the funny cars. It wasn't all that fast (musta been that other
V8). But it was entertaining (lots of wheelies). I'm just unhappy that my car wasn't there. I always get loud cheers (I know, pat my own back) when it's at a HAMBdrag. I'll try a photo.

Attachments

• John & group at MoKan.jpg
  • SPE at show2.JPG
  • at HAMBdrags.jpg

bobf100

Spike - by now I'm sure you noticed that the F100 cab is very narrow which limits your seat choices. A mid 80's chevy 1/2 ton pickup bench fits very well with adequate clearance on the ends by the doors. Some have a drop down center console but uncertain which years.

Glad you joined - it's nice to see new members with the early classics.

seat choices

You say a mid 80's Chevy P/U seat fits ? How that will "tick" off some people.
Not me, I'm an EO rodder. I had a '63 Chrysler Newport running a '57 300C engine & a 57 Plymouth trans. A '53 Ford sedan W/a 389 Pontiac. '62 Ford Galaxie W/a427 Med Riser W/ Tri power from a 406-4Speed. 38Ford P/U W/a248" flat Merc. It goes on and on. I had fun & I'm NOT ready to quit!
I'm not happy driving a car just like everyone else. Stock cars R a "snooze"
Super Stocks keep me awake (NOT so modern Pro Stocks).
My first car was a 49 Dodge 4door that I "inheirited" from Dad after my sister ran it out of oil and spun the bearings. A trip to the "junkers" netted a piston w/rings & pin, & a set of used bearings (R&M). I "ground" the cyl ridge down with a 1/4" drill with a grinding wheel on it. Wiped the grinding dust off the crank & cyl, then used a lot of sandpaper !!!!! to "hone" the wall ?? Put the piston & rings in the hole fitting the rods & mains with the 'pre-tested' parts.
You know it RAN! a little "rattly", but it ran. It ran well enough to take my driver's test in. Sold it for $25 and bought a '50 Ford coupe for $50 V8 stick.
Now that car was neat, red & white upholstery a 57 Ford "safety' steering wheel That wasn't a good deal it was way to close to the seat. Red wheels with WWtires. Not that was HOT!! Lowered in front what was called the "California Tilt". It had a heater but the radio didn't work. I'll stop boring anyone still awake. later, Spike:hammer:

You say a mid 80's Chevy P/U seat fits ? How that will "tick" off some people.
Not me, I'm an EO rodder. I had a '63 Chrysler Newport running a '57 300C engine & a 57 Plymouth trans. A '53 Ford sedan W/a 389 Pontiac. '62 Ford Galaxie W/a427 Med Riser W/ Tri power from a 406-4Speed. 38Ford P/U W/a248" flat Merc. It goes on and on. I had fun & I'm NOT ready to quit!
I'm not happy driving a car just like everyone else. Stock cars R a "snooze"
Super Stocks keep me awake (NOT so modern Pro Stocks).
My first car was a 49 Dodge 4door that I "inheirited" from Dad after my sister ran it out of oil and spun the bearings. A trip to the "junkers" netted a piston w/rings & pin, & a set of used bearings (R&M). I "ground" the cyl ridge down with a 1/4" drill with a grinding wheel on it. then used a lot of sandpaper !!!!! to "hone" the wall ?? Wiped the crank & cyl of grit oiled it and Put the piston & rings in the hole fitting the rods & mains with the 'pre-tested' parts.
You know it RAN! a little "rattly", but it ran. It ran well enough to take my driver's test in. Sold it for $25 and bought a '50 Ford coupe for $50 V8 stick.
Now that car was neat, red & white upholstery a 57 Ford "safety' steering wheel That wasn't a good deal it was way to close to the seat. Red wheels with WWtires. Now that was HOT!! Lowered in front what was called the "California Tilt". It had a heater but the radio didn't work. I'll stop boring anyone still awake. later, Spike:hammer:
I mean, oh look I got it back & fixed my goof. Never Mind! Spike

Ranger Seats

The ford ranger is the same width inside as my 56. I have seen a lot of ranger seats in them as well.

Thanks, BTW is there any special year ranges to look for ? That will probably fit just fine, I never thought of them. One problem is that I had two herniated discs repaired in my back and my wife has three 'cages' plus a pair of plates & screws holding hers together. So I'm looking for something that can be 'fluffed' up for comfort. Good vehicles are a mix of the best (for the purpose), parts. Spikesmiliestirthepot

bobf100

I'm an EO rodder. I'm not happy driving a car just like everyone else. Stock cars R a "snooze"

You and I think alike - glad you joined the site.

I think the 93+ seats are much more comfortable. They are sort of buckets in that the drivers and passengers have high backs.

I guess they are technically a 60/40 seat. The back (low back) of the center seat folds down and has drink holders and a storage compartment.

With it folded down...they look like a set of bucket seats.

I was going the hotrod route myself..then I went to the 06 F-100 supernats in knoxville. Only 4 Y-blocks out of 1,600 trucks registered. I will keep my original drivetrain for that reason. No...my truck is not stock, just close.

My Y-block runs great, so why not? :wavey:

I pulled the plugs two weeks ago (they were in it when I bought the truck) and they looked almost new. All 8 of them.

I can run 65 steady on the highway and have driven it as fast as 75 (where it was legal to do so).

Oh...that trip where I was driving 75...I managed 16.89 MPG (round trip).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts