Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Back-up Rear Sensor System Repaired

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Had to replace a reverse back-up sensor today.

Ouch... it cost a pretty penny at the dealer... but I am so use to having it work when trying to back-up (keep in mind my truck is the largest factory SUV made - "The Excursion of "Bus" as I affectionatley call it.

Was surprised to see that they hook up their computer to the OBDII port and it tells them exactlly what was wrong and which sensor!!!

$200+ dollars later I have a new sensor installed (had to pay dianostic time, part cost and installation time).... but it does work... so I guess it was worth it.

Never realized how important and necessary the back-up sensor is, cup holders and extra power outlets are!!! How did I ever survive the 70's, 80's and 90's without these options!!!!

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
WOW, those are expensive Jeff!!! Did it throw some kind of error code, or it just stopped working? Is it possible that somebody bumping it destroyed the sensor?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
They only work if you listen to the dinging...

I sat in the front seat of my buddies Cadillac Deville with reverse sensing, as he backed squarely into my Ranger, hard. No damage to my truck, but his plastic bumper bent in in the middle, and took a lot of paint off when it popped back.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
bob they can throw a code depending on the system and vehicle. the sensors are miniature radar sensors than can just quit. they are also pretty tough to break.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Jeff I'm with you on the back up sensors. They have saved my tail, and my trucks, more then one time. When driving a vehicle that big you need a little bit of help sometimes...

I wish the fit and finish on my sensors was a little better though. They look like 4 rocks stuck to the outside of the bumper. Wish they would have molded them into the bumper.

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The button on the dash just shows "OFF" to indicate that the system has failed and that protection is not on. It does not tell me which sensor is bad... for that they use the computer hooked up to my OBDII port.

Next time, I will buy a sensor on-line and 1-by-1 remove and replace and find which one was defective.

Oh well.... at least I know what is behind me when backing up my Excursion - limited view... less view than a pick-up.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Had to replace a reverse back-up sensor today.

Ouch... it cost a pretty penny at the dealer... but I am so use to having it work when trying to back-up (keep in mind my truck is the largest factory SUV made - "The Excursion of "Bus" as I affectionatley call it.

Was surprised to see that they hook up their computer to the OBDII port and it tells them exactlly what was wrong and which sensor!!!

$200+ dollars later I have a new sensor installed (had to pay dianostic time, part cost and installation time).... but it does work... so I guess it was worth it.

Never realized how important and necessary the back-up sensor is, cup holders and extra power outlets are!!! How did I ever survive the 70's, 80's and 90's without these options!!!!

You turned around and looked out the back window like the rest of us did ;)

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
Beach, quite literally, anything goes wrong with a ford motor company vehicle, you hook up to the aldl connector. When someone talks about disabling the port, I think about the problems they're going to have in the future.

MY problem is when I get in the wife's car on rare occasions and EXPECT the back up sensors to work :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
MY problem is when I get in the wife's car on rare occasions and EXPECT the back up sensors to work :)
Kinda like when I get in the wife's Taurus and turn the key and look at the dash to see when the glow plug light goes off. :rofl:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Beach, quite literally, anything goes wrong with a ford motor company vehicle, you hook up to the aldl connector. When someone talks about disabling the port, I think about the problems they're going to have in the future.

I agree 100%...

Kinda like when I get in the wife's Taurus and turn the key and look at the dash to see when the glow plug light goes off. :rofl:
Gawd... I thought it was bad when I jump in the wife's suby (she's the passenger, of course) and grab at the SHIFTER... ain't THERE, lol!

Try driving a 56 around for a while then jump in anything modern...anything.

Complete and total difference!!! :nono: :wtf:
I been driving a '56 for 23 years.... If I tried to jump in somethin' MODERN, she'd KILL me!!!

Funeral Thursday at noon....closed coffin? Is that what you mean?:rofl:

Don't do that Tom. Its not worth it.

23 is a good start though. YelloThumbUp

Heck, I told her back when she turned 40 I was gonna trade 'er in on two twenty year olds... She said "You ain't wired for
220!!!"

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
A man left his 54 year old wife for a 25 year old woman. The woman then finds herself a 19 year old man. The husband asks what she's thinking and she tells him that 19 goes into 54 much more than 56 goes into 25.:rofl:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Darn... a different back-up sensor went out the other week. Cost to fix is around $200.00 at the dealer, but fortunately, when they hooked the WDS computer to my PCM for my bad ICP sensor, it told me which back-up sensor was bad.

Trouble is, I will wait for a month to fix due to budgeting issues... but will probably fix it myself since I know which one to replace.

Great feature to have on such a large vehicle, but what a pain (and expensive) feature to fix... but sure handy when backing up in an Excursion.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts