Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

bent or busted something underneath

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
I'll try to be short with this as I know I tend to babble so here goes.

Couple weeks ago I'm pulling into my friends house up a little bit of a hill and I blinked at the wrong time and dropped my front left tire off into a washed out spot between two chunks of concrete. This is the kind of concrete that you can tell was just poured down the hill to get rid of the extra and the weakest spot washed out and cracked through. She went down all the way to the frame laying on the concrete. I wasn't going more than maybe 5 or 10 cuz I was pulling in to park but when she went down it was dead stop instantly, no momentum to push through, she got stuck. I tried to rock her out, didn't hear any scraping but that could be due to the exhaust I've got, she wasn't budging. I don't have posi so one tire started spinning and left me with nothing. Tiff's dad came and pulled her out but they didn't wait for me to come outside, they just tied up and yanked her out so I don't know how hard they yanked, if they were careful to turn the wheel or anything.

Now when I'm taking off, barely crawling there's this moaning sound in that left front up there that goes with the tires rotation. Does that make sense? It's kinda hard to describe a sound like that. It's stops when I get up over about 5 mph and after I've gone a ways it doesn't come back. I don't have the foggiest clue what I've done to it but I'm pretty worried about it. I've crawled under there and I can't see anything wrong but I don't really know what I'm looking at/for. The frame has evidence of rubbing against the concrete from where I was rocking it or where they yanked her out, I don't know.

Any ideas, suggestions, help, everything is appreciated!

Also, how bad is it to keep driving it? Ugly's down for the count unless by some miracle she starts and even then that back glass will probably fall out the first time she moves... *shaking my head*

Pics of the general area might help if you can get some.

Sounds like something might be rubbing. Even a backing plate on the brake rotor or something. That would make noise with the tire rotating.

I know some of the other guys will know more than I do about what might be bent.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
with out looking at it id have to say if it dont shimmy or shake i wouldnt worry about it to much, as far as the noise again with out lookin at it id have to say athe backing plate is rubbin the rotor

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
jack it up and check quick . LIke most said the backing plat dose not take much to get out wack .

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Errr I ment the dust sheild . The tin pan thing protecting rotor .

dust shields don't make a "moaning sound "

They make a scraping sound.

I would love to hear this "Moaning" Connie :)

D

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
it's not a 4x4

and how else am i supposed to describe it? dirty old men *shaking my head* :) i tried to get the sound on video but it won't do it when i'm not in the truck for some stupid reason. i think my friend can't drive but i KNOW he can't video tape so ... *shrug*

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
ok i live in the PLAINS.. not even the rolling plains, just the plains. when i'm at my parents house 45 miles away i can see the bright spot on the horizon where lubbock is lit up some nights. i can watch my hometown city fireworks from 5 miles outside of town w/o binoculars. granted they're small but i can still see them. there's nothing really to get stuck in, except stupid extra concrete poured down a tiny little midget hill that's washed out. *shaking my head*

The only cool 2wd is a prerunner

They are cool...if you live near a desert or dunes of some kind. There is one running around here...never ever been near any dirt (I used to work with the guys wife). I think it looks pretty stupid running around here in town all polished and shining. Not a scratch on it.

It is totally useless around here. I guess it is the 2WD version of a mall crawler. We have trees, mud, creeks, etc. If you get off the pavement...you want a 4X4.

However, there are a lot of cool 2WDs running around (IMHO).

I am not sure how, but apparently Connie found the only "hill" down there to run off of. [confused]

We are still waiting on pics to try to figure out what might be damaged under there. YelloThumbUp

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
*pout* i won't be able to get it on a lift unless i can catch the dumb one up there by hisself and they don't leave him up there alone very much. i'll see if i can get some pics after this black top parking lot cools off some. not just real keen on the idea of laying on that when it's been nearly 100 degrees all day long.

i caught a vibration in the steering wheel that matched the pitch and timing of the sound it's making yesterday but if it did it today i didn't feel it. *shrug* the buildings been blocking the parking lot for a little bit so i should be able to get out there in a little while without frying myself and see if i can jack her up high enough to get some pics.

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
this is where the concrete hit
IMG_0372.JPG

another shot... it's been a few weeks
IMG_0378.JPG

whatever that is
IMG_0373.JPG

i took a bunch more pics but i don't know what i need to look at. i see NOTHING that looks freshly moved or scraped or rubbed or anything. that thin metal that i think is what y'all're callin the dust cover doesn't seem to be loose. i knocked on it and tried to move it by hand but i was laying in the grass with the back up on a hill which gave more space under there but still.... *shrug*

when it makes that noise i can feel it in my steering wheel too but i can't get it to make the noise after i've driven it any distance at all. i'll see if i can't get the sound too but i don't think i can. *shrug*

i'm going to load all these pics up on my photobucket and i'll put a link up to that so y'all can see if there's anything there of value... don't wanna overload the site with 20 useless pics ya know.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Nothing looks out of wack from those pics as far as I can see. If it only happens at a slow speed, maybe just take a floor jack and raise that side and spin the wheel to see what you get. Then, you could take the tire off and spin the rotor to see what happens.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts