Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starter issues

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Before I was going to the parade (pics in the general forum), the truck wouldn't start at all. Uncle Ed came and said it was the starter. He hammered it and the truck started up just as it has. He told me the brushes r done. I can start the truck about 20 more times and then it's done. He told me to find a new starter.

I've been asking around. I wished I was more mechanically inclined. One fellow told me to clean the strap. Many times it's just dirt on it. I can buy new sarter brushes, or a starter repair kit. My concern is it would be hard enough finding a sarter for a 330 HD motor. Another fellow says a 360-390 even a 351 starter would be the same thing as the one I have?

I'm preferring the rebuild kit. The auto store clerk says the kit is pretty much universal. What do you think?

Tyl

Motorcraft service starter # SA-713B

What is the armature is shot ?

If so a rebuild kit means nothing.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Before you do anything, I'd talk to the site sponsor and see if he can at least get you hooked up with some more info about compatible starters. His name is Ed-- click the big blue banner at the top of the page to see his site or just send him a PM:

FTF/PARTS-GUY

EDIT: Whoops Dennis beat me with the info. Ed might still be worth contacting :) He's a real wealth of knowledge.

I have OEM Ford numbers too ,if he wants them.

Check the U-haul parts web site as well.

D

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Personally I like to rebuild things when I can. I would get the rebuild kit. Unless the armature is shot ( like Dennis said) it should work fine.

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
I bought a starter rebuild kit and it came in on monday. I took some pics of Ken's 1960 van for Brian and came home to work on the starter. Took if off and got it all apart. Uncle Ed came by to see the progress, expecting I'd have the wrong part apart or still be under the trucvk trying to take it out.

He inspected all the pieces and saidnot to change anything. Everything seemed good. He told me sometimes it's just an accumulation of dirt inside causing the problem. Ok, well, he knows best. Cleaned the pices, put them back together, back on the engine. Tried starting the engine. Started right up. Turned it off, started it again...

Here's my personal guarrantee, if you came expecting a test drive on the truck, it now will start on command.

Tyl

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts