Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New toolbox

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Story is, my grandmother died in '93. (I was13 yrs old back then) She had a small bar fridge in her condo that she had in her bedroom. Nightly craving or so. Dad kept her fridge and used it downstairs for beer and pop.

Last fall, the fridge was still running. I asked dad if I bought him a new bar fridge, could I trade it for grandma's old one. I might bust tomorrow. I told him I'd wish to have the ba fridge converted into an air-tight toolbox mounted on the truck. A piece of grandma would be riding on the truck. He agreed, so I traded him a new one.

All winter long I worked at it, taking the motor, electrics and free one out. Got decal made, bought some handles, hasps and padlocks.

Today was the day I got a local shop to weld it on.

2004_0508Image0001.jpg

The shop had to cut my exhaust and advance the rear mudflap a bit. The exhaust used to curve out to the side. When driving, the rear mudflap would flap backwards on the hot exhaust and burn it a bit. Now the curve is gone in the exhaust, and the muflap was advanced a couple inches via a new bracket. They welded two saddles around the box and bolted the box to the saddle.

Here's a pic of the box opened. I would need to buy small chains to prevent the door from falling all the way down. I had them bolt a piece of the original fridge door plastic shell that had an aluminum bar to act as a shelf. It was the perfect snug compartment for a small fire extingusher I bought. One snafu was that he bolted the compartment to the box floor instead of the box ceiling.

2004_0508Image0002.jpg

Grandma's on board!!! It was an emotional pride for dad to see it there.

Tyl

tylstruck

Many thanks guys. Grandma would be laughing....

That's the last big addition to do. I'd like to add my 2 cargo lights, spare tire holder, ps. Down the line I'll get my truck cab and front stripped restored. The truck cab and front clip will have the three tone orange and white scheme with bumper guards, all the trimmings, a moon visor and respectable retired U-haul decals on the doors. I'll be dead by then...

On wed. I gget a new stereo systems installed. I currently have one of those dials Custom 1 AM/FM cassette player. It works fine and looks super but my co-ordination is gone and try turning the dials to select a station. Piss on that. I'm putting in a digital push button stereo pulled from a '97 Mystique.

Tyl

tylstruck

I forgot to say, you'll never beleive which camera took those pics. Thje very same fuji cam after its time spent in the ice box. !?! Works fine for now....

Tyl

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Looks good!

Awesome idea Tyl. It looks good. Take that from a guy that obsesses over sentimental stuff.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts