Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

undercover swingcase

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
The price is the only thing stopping me at the moment. It would probably hold what I need but it's pricey for just one. If it was $250 for a pair I would probably go ahead and get them.

Maybe I am missing something here. Why not buy the regular fender well mount tool box and make a hinge bracket for it that bolts to the bedside?

Looks like that is all it is to me. Just costs a fortune and is plastic.

The idea looks great for the modern dual wall beds.

Like these Delta "steel wheel well boxes" for example.

delta_steel_wheel_box.jpg

also a good idea that i think i've posted about before is the "tailgate toolbox" - it turns the hollow space in your tailgate to a toolchest.
ccr119_4cb_e.jpg

if i remember correctly, they aren't made anymore. also, i'd hate to actually have to lift the tailgate

I may be mis-reading that, but I think it mounts to the inside of the tailgate (making a lump). If that is true...it would be rather difficult to load stuff with that there.

1. Lower the tailgate and position the toolbox in its mounting position in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions (figure B).
  2. Using the holes in the toolbox casing as a guide, mark the locations where you'll need to drill, using a grease pencil (figure C). Repeat the procedure for both toolboxes.
  3. After marking the locations, center-punch them and drill holes for attaching the mounting screws (figure D). To keep from drilling to deeply, you may want to use a piece of rubber tubing to mark a stop on your drill bit (figure E). Important: Anytime that you drill into the metal body of a vehicle, first check to make certain that there aren't brake, fuel or electrical lines in the area underneath where you'll be drilling, or any other critical elements that might be damaged or punctured. You should be able to find additional information about this from your vehicle's service manual. In this case, since you'll be drilling only into the tailgate, there may be no need for worry. Nevertheless, it's advisable to check before drilling.
  4. After drilling all of the holes, apply a small amount of silicone sealer to each to help prevent rust (figure F).
  5. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to install the locking mechanisms and fasteners for the lift-arms (figure G) inside each toolbox.
  6. Once the inside hardware has been installed, secure the toolboxes to the tailgate using the provided mounting screws (figure H).
  7. After both toolboxes have been secured to the tailgate, install the inside pockets (figure I), dividers and lift-arms according to the instructions.

See this pic:

ccr119_4ca_e.jpg

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
The swing one is lockable and the side mount Brian posted should be too. Not sure on the tailgate one.

Brian that's not a bad idea on the side mount. I high do those sit, wonder if it would fit under a bed cover.

No clue really. I believe there are different sizes of them. I know they even make them for the rangers, so they can get pretty small.

That was just the first pic I found that I could link too. I know there are several brands (including plastic if you want).

Just have to check the sizes and measure the bed, if you are going that route.

I like the swing out idea, however, I am also a cheap skate. If I could buy a plain box (the right size) and build a bracket for free...that is what I would do.

Seems a bit high for what it really is, if that initial price is correct.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
$245 ain't lookin so bad I just checked out a Delta box and it was $222. Then you have to fab the swing/mounting bracket.

There price might not be too bad after all. Still not sure if I would buy one. I have a plastic tote currently but it tends to be more of a pain than it's worth. Not lockable and slides around the bed unless I block it in or strap it to the side.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sorry, but why not just buy a full size bow that goes against the rear of the cab like mine? My style would still fit under your topper. Run a search for "toolbox installed". I'd post pics but I can from my iPhone.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts