Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil Pan

CAPofMD

Delaware Chapter member
Has anyone drilled their oil pan to install a temp probe? Even if you haven't but know of a SAFE area to do that, where would YOU drill a hole in your pan (not the bottom) to install a bung for a temp probe?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Has anyone drilled their oil pan to install a temp probe? Even if you haven't but know of a SAFE area to do that, where would YOU drill a hole in your pan (not the bottom) to install a bung for a temp probe?
You all ready have an engine oil temp sensor. Its on top of the engine, behind the oil filter.

Sounds like you have the E2, since it's the only one that has the "probe" as an option.
That same unit also has a sending unit available to purchase that would replace your existing sensor.
#280EH-F is a sender that you can replace your drain plug with, but bear in mind, the oil in the pan is the COOLEST oil in the engine.

CAPofMD

Delaware Chapter member
WOW...in the number of times I have posted this question, YOU are the first person to tell me that!!! (Oil pan=coolest oil) Now I am really not sure of what to do. I may just leave it where it is. Why it it never an EASY answer??? LOL

I am using the S-W 2 1/16" oil temp gauge with the Electric Sender. P/N 148-320F with the Camilion (sp) lighting system on a 3 gauge pod.. Love it!

Thanks Mr. Fix-it man!! Appreciate your response.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
the oil in the pan is the COOLEST oil in the engine.
That depends on how much molten metal is accidentally dropped into the pan, doesn't it? smilietease I'm pretty sure there was one moment in my trucks life it was the hottest oil in the engine, especially since the engine didn't have any for a bit. smiliegitrdone

I put an electric temp sender on the oil filter cap. Is that actually a good spot Tom?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Remember, the 6.0 uses the engine oil temp reading for boost, cold start, and general correlation with other sensors for the pcm to monitor engine functions. The reading taken from the top of the engine is where all other sensors will be compared to for pcm calculations.

CAPofMD

Delaware Chapter member
Here's what's on there now...except it's an electric probe not mechanical

oilprobe.jpg

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Waste of money....

Just touch the top of the oil filter cap with your hand to see what the temperature is!!!

1st degree burn = warm motor (100F)

2nd degree burn = hot motor (150F)

3rd degree burn = Very hot motor (+200F)... and your an idiot!!!!

Why spend your money on fancy-smancy electronics, when you were born with the best sensor around!!!

For more accurate testing, use your "manhood"... more sensitive and more responsive (caution... only trained Ford technitions or really drunk people should use this technique)smilietease

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts