Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas Guzzler Tax

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Question for ya Ernie,

So I was browsing the local Dodge website lookin at Chargers and I came across something I have not see elsewhere. The "Gas Guzzler Tax"

Gas Guzzler Tax $ 2,100

Now it was a gas pig for sure it was one of their STR8 models but I have never seen that. I looked through Ford's inventory (mustang models) and could not find it. Is ford hiding it somewhere else. I also could not find it anywhere on the window sticker of a $80,000 Corvette Z06.

What gives Ernie. Give us the skinny on this charge.

The Gas Guzzler Tax is a Federal excise tax applied to the domestic sale of new vehicles that don't meet certain fuel economy standards. It was enacted as part of the Energy Tax Act of 1978, reaching current levels by 1988. On its surface, the Tax is simple. Behind that simplicity, though, lies a maze of formulas and numbers, some of which are of particular interest to SUV buyers.
The Gas Guzzler Tax is based on combined fuel economy, which is based on a 55%/45% highway/city fuel economy estimate from the Environmental Protection Agency test.

Vehicles that get at least 22.5 mpg (combined) don't have to pay the Gas Guzzler Tax. The Tax rate goes from $1,000 for vehicles that get at least 21.5 mpg (combined), but less than 22.5 mpg (combined) all the way up to $7,700 for vehicles that get less than 12.5 mpg (combined).

SUVs are not subject to the Gas Guzzler Tax. When the law was first enacted in 1978, SUVs and light trucks represented less than 25% of the vehicles on the road, and were considered primarily work vehicles. Over the last three decades, the use of SUVs has substantially changed, but the law hasn't. Here's a quote from Senate Report 109-082 "Highway Reauthorization and Excise Tax Simplification Act of 2005":
...vehicles defined in Title 49 C.F.R. sec. 523.5 (relating to light trucks) are exempt. These vehicles include those designed to transport property on an open bed (e.g., pick-up trucks) or provide greater cargo-carrying than passenger carrying volume including the expanded cargo-carrying space created through the removal of readily detachable seats (e.g., pick-up trucks, vans, and most minivans, sports utility vehicles and station wagons). Additional vehicles that meet the `non-passenger' requirements are those with at least four of the following characteristics: (1) an angle of approach of not less than 28 degrees; (2) a breakover angle of not less than 14 degrees; (3) a departure angle of not less than 20 degrees; (4) a running clearance of not less than 20 centimeters; and (5) front and rear axle clearances of not less than 18 centimeters each. These vehicles would include many sports utility vehicles.
It's not reasonable to assume that times won't catch up with actual usage. Eventually, this political football will wind up in the hands of a Congress that is forced to act to curb US gasoline usage, and the Gas Guzzler Tax is a pretty effective weapon. Time will tell.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Thanks Tom. I will have to go back and lookat the window stickers. I have a hard time believing a Z06 gets better mileage then a STR8 but lemme check.

Does it have to be a seperate line on the window sticker?

I imagine it should be... but Ernie can still tell ya better.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Corvette
7.0 LS7 V8
six-speed manual transmission 15/24

Charger STR8
8 CYL, 6.1 L (370 CID), 13/18

Can those corvette numbers be for real?

dayummmm.... I'd have thought they did better'n that!
Makes me appreciate my truck a bit more, and it will carry stuff, too!

Bleh...taxes...I always get angry when I go get my Thunderbird tagged at the DMV... $50 in "horsepower taxes."

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Corvette
7.0 LS7 V8
six-speed manual transmission 15/24

Charger STR8
8 CYL, 6.1 L (370 CID), 13/18

Can those corvette numbers be for real?

No- they're a bit on the light side since they revamped the testing procedure for '08. Numerous Z06 owners report high 20's hwy mileage. 18-19 combined seems to be the norm, unless the owner has their foot into it. A regular C6 (you know, the "slow" 180 mph version) will easily get 30 on the hwy. I've said this before- GM's LS-block family is one of the most efficient V8 powertrains on the planet.

And yes, the Hemi is a gas hog. Always has been- just ask any Dodge pickup owner.

just paid my '02 for 2008: $58 for two years. And yes, they price them here by horsepower as well.
Tried to get my trailer tags for free, based on that. Didn't work :rofl2:

Michigan
Stock SRT models suck for gas mileage.... After we install a bigger cam and heads, we can get 22 mpg out of em at best.

What do you mean, after a couple weeks it'll be blown up and do quite well on the fuel consumption....smilietease
That would be one expensive boat anchor.

Bleh...taxes...I always get angry when I go get my Thunderbird tagged at the DMV... $50 in "horsepower taxes."

just paid my '02 for 2008: $58 for two years. And yes, they price them here by horsepower as well.
Tried to get my trailer tags for free, based on that. Didn't work :rofl2:

You guys should drive an antique! I got my driver's license renewed for 4 years and my permanent truck tags for around $40 down here.

Now...the explorer...costs more. I am not aware of any "horsepower" tax. I think is is just based on weight.

If you look at your title, if there is a horsepower rating on there (and I do not know about arkansas), it's figured in.

Yeah, sure Tom. What's your sis . . . I mean, wife's name again?? smilietease

Why? Yours broken?
Or just untagged? That's it... that's why you asked such an on-topic question, right?:rofl2:

If you look at your title, if there is a horsepower rating on there (and I do not know about arkansas), it's figured in.

I seriously doubt the 56 has it (hp rating on the title). They pretty much ignore antiques around here. When I first got the new title it was simple. Took the signed over old one and a bill of sale in. The only problem they had was they kept asking "Is it really a 56?"

They are supposed to have the police run the VIN on any out of state title. Never did on it.

The explorer might have the HP rating. I never paid any attention to it actually Tom.

Again...supposed to check VIN...cop signed paper inside that I needed by looking out the window and saying "Is it that one over there?"

Anyone wanna title a stolen vehicle using phony paperwork? AR looks to be way too easy. :headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts