Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 1977 F150 Project

Good Evening...

I'm new to the forum (3rd night). I'm redoing my high school truck that I re-did during high school. I'm class of 1993... Cheesehead, but now live in Minnesota.

It's a 1977 F150. 351M 4x4. I had a 4" superlift with 35" M/T. It got stolen from University of MN, Duluth my first week of college. 9 months later I got it back trashed. That was 1997. I started redoing it in May. I bought an AZ body (1979 ) from Marshfield Truck Parts. As of May 2008, I rebuilt a 460 Police Intercepter, from that 1979 2WD truck. +.030 bored, - .010 on crank, shaved heads, Extreme 4x4 Comp cam, aluminum intake and water pump. Old 600 cfm holley from 351, may be updated to 800. Added L and L headers and engine swap kit. Accel coil etc. I have a few things left on the engine.

Installed a 9" Skyjacker lift kit system from Top Gun Customz. 3" body lift will be installed. Mounted 15 x 42 x 15 TSL's on M/T 12" rims. Bought new everything from NPD and LMC. All rubber, lights, steering wheel, hoses, brake lines, mirrors, etc. I have bushwacker cut flares and a moon visor for it. Everything is getting water or sand blasted then painted. complete restoration. Then it will be my Tar Baby! I'll attach a few pictures. I have hundreds more...

I hope to finish it in later August. For anyone interested...
$3500 '79 Truck
$1800 to L and L
$1700 to Skyjacker
$600 for yellow and black paint, etch primer, epoxy primer (PPG - Napa)
$2700 to NPD
$400 LMC
$2100 to Summit Racing
$300 to Speedway Motors
$300 Napa
$150 to Fastenal - yellow zinc Grade 8 bolts, washers, and nuts.

--yeah, please remind me they sold for about $7,000 New...

But the good news is I have about everything.... but Paint (Ultra Blue Pearl Metallic as it was) and Seat... the mice made a mess of my interior. They thieves drove it out in a field and buried it with brush. I need 4.56 gears for the 9" and Dana 44 and longer drive shafts. Emergency brakes too. I'll fab a custom rear 24" drop bumper from diamond plate. Not sure about the front.

That's all for now.

Dan

Attachments

• Big Blue FTF.JPG
  • frame FTF.JPG
  • frt left FTF.JPG
  • frame bare 3 FTF.JPG

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
WOW!!! :drop: <-- That smiley is an understatement.

What an AWESOME truck. That chassis looks gorgeous. Please keep us posted with progress. And welcome to FTF :wavey:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Welcome aboard. Awesome truck! I always wanted to do a body off like that. Might I suggest maybe 4.88 or 5.13 gears with the 42" tires? I run 5.13's with my 38's and am very happy.

While I admire your desire to rebuild a truck from a complete frame off (been there done that with my 250) I have to wonder about your color selection. Why did you put some yellow on the frame with a blue truck? I mean it does not matter, to each his own they say, but even with me being color blind I think I would of stuck with all black on the frame.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
what size tires are on it in the picture of it with your kids? they look like 44's not 35's as you have listed?

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
if I would have borrowed it I would have drove it out and buried it in a MUD HOLE!!! up to its eye balls , and stepped away :wasntme:

tire story

Those are the 42" tires in the picture with the kids on 15x8 rims which I upgraded to 15 x 12". The guy that stole the truck, ordered and stole those 42" tires. He got caught steeling the tires days later, then when the farmer found my truck 9 months later, That same guy got nailed for stealing my truck because the missing 42" tires came up. Fortunately for me, I was able to keep the tires, however I scarf iced my new 35 / 12.50 /15 Mickey Thompson and dents and scratches and mouse sh!t and everything else! They stole my moon visor, fender flares, tool box, fishing stuff, speakers, stainless steel tailgate that I built etc. Then they just had to smash out my nice '77 frame and chain my hood down to it so I would guess the intent was to come back in jack my built 351 engine out. I replace it with the '79 grill, it is in nice shape, then I got a Stull square tube grill insert.

As far as Yellow color.... Black is absence of Color... You got to have some color in life! I like the yellow accent. I have my bell housing, tranny , transfer yellow too... hopefully it won't be too much. If so, I can fix it with black or red....

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I don't like cut out flares Especially if you r cutting up a nice oem bed or fenders.But u got ot cover those tires

But Sound like a really well thought out ride . Get some more pics up .

Nice truck, I take it the pic with you're kids is before it was stolen? The yellow is different, just remember to keep it clean cause it looks like shit when chiped and oily. Ranger didnt know you were colorblind :suspicious: ...

Yeah only in 1 eye. :rolling laugh:

No, both actually but it is only close colors for me. Going for a CDL test is a lot of fun and requires some good guessing on my part.

Ambers+reds get me sometimes depending on which state I'm in in the big truck. If they ever changed the stop light pattern I'd be in trouble in some states.

If they ever changed the stop light pattern I'd be in trouble in some states.

I know its not a laughing matter, but I got a chuckle outa that one. That would suck, and I woulda never guessed with you're "eye" for detail and perfection. I guess some things ya just learn to live with...

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Very nice project. Sucks that the truck was stolen and beat up though. Glad to hear you got it back and able to rebuild it. Price lists add up quick don't they. I haven't added up all mine and I don't think I want too.

Oh and BTW, Welcome to FTF

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
:drool: I love it...soundslike you have had your work cut out for ya and still got quite a bit ahead...glad to hear u got her back u were lucky.Welcome to FTF.

grantpete

Pete Grant
I think it deserves a dana 60 with the coil springs and a dana 60 rear or bigger with 5:13 gears and then you can pound it with those 42's and show them Chevys up.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts