Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

vapor lock

blacksnapon

Staff member
Tech A says that vapor lock is caused by fuel boiling in the supply lines..... Tech B says vapor lock is a main cause of engine flooding....................... Who is correct?.............A) tech A..........B) tech b.........C) Both........D) neither

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Tech A

If memory serves correctly, as temperatures increase, the vapor pressure of the gas falls low enough that when the fuel pump tries to pull it out of the tank, it cavitates, or boils, and the pump can't suck fumes.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Definitely tech A.

Storm

Tech A... final answer..

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Because I know nothing about fuel injection or modern engine management. I do know about vapor lock though. :p

I wonder if anybody else knows why I reffered to clothes pins.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Because I know nothing about fuel injection or modern engine management. I do know about vapor lock though. :p

I wonder if anybody else knows why I reffered to clothes pins.

Heck yeah, that's still a living myth around the flathead circles. Bring it up on one of those forums and you're sure to hear somebody say, "It must work 'cause my great-uncle charlie the backyard mechanic used to do it and he swore by it!"

Adequate air circulation under the hood, all air deflectors in place, especially the fan shroud and routing fuel lines away from high heat sources pretty well does away with it. Although if you haven't done your homework, rags soaked in cool water applied to the lines and base of the carb can get you going again a little quicker.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts