Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

emergency!!!

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
i need your help! run my 2000 7.3 out of fuel on a hill and cant get it started. what do i need to do to purge the system and get it started agian?

thanks for any help given. it will be much appreciated

Brett

i posted this in the 7.3 forum sorry.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
remove the fuel cap and cycle the key untill the bowl fills up with the filter in place. reinstall the cap and by the time you put the cap back on, it should start. if you dont have any fuel flow, then your pump is bad probably.

blacksnapon

Staff member
i need your help! run my 2000 7.3 out of fuel on a hill and cant get it started. what do i need to do to purge the system and get it started agian?

thanks for any help given. it will be much appreciated

Brett

i posted this in the 7.3 forum sorry.
Most generally they'll purge themselves given enough time. I have had some that would get a large air bubble in the secondary fuel filter housing, on top. I just loosened up the cap, and the air would vent, then tighten it up again.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
remove the fuel cap and cycle the key untill the bowl fills up with the filter in place. reinstall the cap and by the time you put the cap back on, it should start. if you dont have any fuel flow, then your pump is bad probably.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid Remove fuel filter cap and fill bowl reinstall and should be good.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
update!!! still wont start cranked on it for about an hour last night filled the filter up couple of times. cycled it i dont know how many times. it just cranks and cranks. i dont know what to do :headbang:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Make sure it has oil in it, if they run low on oil it won't run either. Needs oil to fire the injectors.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
another update! still wont start. there is oil in the reservoir. i dont think the tach reads anything. i am so pissed i havent messed with it all day. and i dont remember.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Do you have access to ant type of scan tool? Have you had the cam sensor recall yet? Might need a cam sensor. When yoy have the fuel filter cover off and turn the key on will fuel come out or does the level stay the same? Or are there any air bubbles?

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
ok guys got it fixed. the fuel pump was bad. it ran but didnt pick up anything. but i appreciate all the help. this is the best place for help on the net

blacksnapon

Staff member
ok guys got it fixed. the fuel pump was bad. it ran but didnt pick up anything. but i appreciate all the help. this is the best place for help on the net
Glad to see you have it fixed. Always remember basics: if you're getting fuel, if you're getting fire, and its in time, it'll start.

Glad to see you have it fixed. Always remember basics: if you're getting fuel, if you're getting fire, and its in time, it'll start.
Good advice!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts