Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trouble starting......

I have an F150- 5.0-fuel injected...truck was running fine earlier in the day. Went out started it went half a block and it died....have all the lights and gauges and engine cranks but the fuel pump does not come on and have no spark. Have checked the fuel pump by jumping the fuel pump test terminal of the DLC connector to a good ground and the pump comes on. Have check lots more and still have no luck.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have an F150- 5.0-fuel injected...truck was running fine earlier in the day. Went out started it went half a block and it died....have all the lights and gauges and engine cranks but the fuel pump does not come on and have no spark. Have checked the fuel pump by jumping the fuel pump test terminal of the DLC connector to a good ground and the pump comes on. Have check lots more and still have no luck.
Its EEC4, so, does it display any codes? If not, you have a power or ground issue not allowing the pcm to power up.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Would check the pcm relay, if it has a poor connection or stoped working it'll kill the fuel pump as well. Try to scan codes.

i am trying to check codes by self checking which i go by the "check engine" light flashes...but that is the only gauge light that does not come on when i turn the key.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
i am trying to check codes by self checking which i go by the "check engine" light flashes...but that is the only gauge light that does not come on when i turn the key.

Would seem that either the bulb is burned out or theres a problem with the pcm either lost power or ground, or the pcm itself is bad.

i went and got me a code reader......when i hook it up the code reader lights up with the truck off, it lights with the tester in the hold position and the test position. The light goes off when i turn the key to the run position but i get no codes.....

blacksnapon

Staff member
i went and got me a code reader......when i hook it up the code reader lights up with the truck off, it lights with the tester in the hold position and the test position. The light goes off when i turn the key to the run position but i get no codes.....
Yeah, you have a pcm powering up issue. Power and ground checks, pcm power relay, and circuitry checks are needed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts