Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

anyone here running bio?

what is eveyones thoughts? obviously home brew and commercial are 2 different animals, I buy mine at a retail pum (b-100) and mix it myself when I get fuel.

What are you paying for B100?

I havent bought it in about a month or so, I buy 15 gallons at a time and that usually lasts me a month or 2, but it was 5.09 a gal...

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Haven't seen many 6.0's running on bio, but it all depends on how well processed it is have seen some 7.3's get pluged up, and others run fine on it. These were running straight bio not mixing it with fuel. Nothing like a truck that smells like french fry's makes me hungry when I work on them..LOl

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Found some more info on bio from some other tech's..

I am looking at getting into making biodiesel for myself and the family. The LSU Ag Center has a demo going on and it appears like this could be a good investment.

What are the big issues with biodiesel? Can the newer diesels run on it? What about fuel tanks, will it delaminate the? I heard that the fuel filter has to be changed often. Any other issues?

Works ok in 7.3 but oil chages need to be done twice as often. Works very good mixed with used ATF. I dont think I would try it in a 6.0 or 6.4

The Air Force used to use it around here in there 6.0's. gums up everything within 5000 miles. can't imagine what it would do in a 6.4. But it was fine in there 7.3's.

We have a government bomb plant close to here that uses bio-diesel, diesel tech pulled valve covers found covered with what looked like sand. after Ford analized the granuals, ended up that it was caused by the percent of bio-diesel used, the percent was severly higher than what is recommended, Ford has now cut off the warranty when the sand looking material in under the valve cover. BE CAREFUL!

Powerstroke rep was just here and was explaining bio. Mixing an organic and inorganic requires a binder. The binders are what is delaminating tanks and damaging things. He, of course, recommends to stay away from it as far as Ford warranty, etc. Anything used over 5% bio is outside of recommended range and can be denied warranty.

I buy B-100 and mix it for B-10. Been use it sence it bought the truck
can get b-100 in Mass for 5.29 gal about an hour drive for me. when I called them last tuesday. don't have the room to made it from WVO and not sure I what to made myself.

blacksnapon

Staff member
can get b-100 in Mass for 5.29 gal about an hour drive for me. when I called them last tuesday. don't have the room to made it from WVO and not sure I what to made myself.
Don't doubt it works fine for you! Please understand that when you have been under the valve covers of hundreds of 6.0s, the bio works great...................until it stops.

where in mass? I buy mine in acton its only about 5 minutes from my house. and I have been running b-5 in the winter and am now running b-20 for the summer months, and i change my fuel filters early.

I am not. The manual says only B5 and for that I am not sure it is worth the risk for what it saves. I am however trying to figure out how to get a consistent 18 - 20 MPG in my truck. The Duramax (and for that matter the Cummins) both seem to get consistently better economy. The Super Duty is arguably a more massive truck then either of the other two. Mine came stock with 18" rims so that cannot help matters and the six speed tranny on the Duramax probably helps but when I start adding up the cost of new tires/rims, chips, exhaust, etc. vs driving as is I don't know. I read somewhere the most cost effective way to raise MPG (besides keeping the foot off the throttle) would be to run synthetics. Other than that, add all that other crap up and I'd be more inclined to buy a beater 4 cylinder that gets 30+ and use my truck only when needed.

suprdtydvr said:
I am not. The manual says only B5 and for that I am not sure it is worth the risk for what it saves. I am however trying to figure out how to get a consistent 18 - 20 MPG in my truck. The Duramax (and for that matter the Cummins) both seem to get consistently better economy. The Super Duty is arguably a more massive truck then either of the other two. Mine came stock with 18" rims so that cannot help matters and the six speed tranny on the Duramax probably helps but when I start adding up the cost of new tires/rims, chips, exhaust, etc. vs driving as is I don't know. I read somewhere the most cost effective way to raise MPG (besides keeping the foot off the throttle) would be to run synthetics. Other than that, add all that other crap up and I'd be more inclined to buy a beater 4 cylinder that gets 30+ and use my truck only when needed.

Very well said.... My truck came with 20" wheels and out on the highway I can sqeeeeeze out 19 mpg if I'm very careful, while around town tippy toeing I can manage low to mid 16's...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
while around town tippy toeing I can manage low to mid 16's...
How do you tippy toe? I can't keep my foot off the freakin' thing. Maybe it's the chip, I don't know. :p

BTW- Gotta another f'in ticket on Friday!! AND I had the tow program in!! Got me for 56 in a 35 and he wrote me a C&I for power sliding a corner at an intersection. I tried to tell him that it's not careless or imprudent because there were NO other cars at the intersection and I've done it enough there that I KNOW how the truck will react. He didn't seem to pleased. Imagine that! ROFLMAO

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
How do you tippy toe? I can't keep my foot off the freakin' thing. Maybe it's the chip, I don't know. :p

BTW- Gotta another f'in ticket on Friday!! AND I had the tow program in!! Got me for 56 in a 35 and he wrote me a C&I for power sliding a corner at an intersection. I tried to tell him that it's not careless or imprudent because there were NO other cars at the intersection and I've done it enough there that I KNOW how the truck will react. He didn't seem to pleased. Imagine that! ROFLMAO

Least you got it home in one piece , and not on a tow trucksmilietease smilietease smilietease smilietease

Slowmans Acton is the place I was talking about.

ya it is real close to me, 5 min. max, I bought 5 gals. last night $5.29 a gal! and it wasn't clear like the last time I bought it? and it also has a sour smell to it......I have been running bio from there since dec. of last year and have had no problems.

I can't find a place here in CT. when I go buy it I buy 99 gal 3 30 gal drums so one or two trips a year for me.

Last edited:
I live in City #01 Ansonia

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts