Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Start up and go or start up, warm up and go?

I started a similar thread at the other site a while back.

So, do you start up and allow the motor to warm up before putting the trans in gear? Do you start up and take off right away? Do you start up, wait a minute or two then take off?

How much time elapses between start up and take off, what do you do during that time period and WHY????

I will post my response later.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I drive a diesel, so I do things different than when I drive someone's gasser. For my diesel, I fire it up, wait til I've got oil pressure, then drive, but go very easy on her until at least 140 water temp. I wait until 170 water temp before I drop the hammer. Of course, that's in the summer. In winter, I fire it up, wait for oil pressure, put her into high idle and let her run for a good 10-15 minutes before I start driving. Then it's the same temp rules.

In the wifes truck, gasser, I fire it up, put on my seat belt and go. I figure putting on the seat belt stalls just log enough to allow the oil to get flowing.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I don't wait too long, normally 1-2 minutes if I start it manually. But normally I'll remote start it from the house when I start to get ready to leave, and by the time get out and put it in drive it's normally been running 3-4 minutes at least.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Start and go- probably wait 30 seconds between the start and putting it in gear. I do drive more conservatively until everything's warmed up though.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Depends on the season, and how long it's been sitting (my truck often sits 2-4 days at a time).

Warm day- maybe 30-40 seconds, maybe a minute or two if it's been sitting several days.

Cold day, been run the day before- maybe a minute or two (maybe 3-4 if it's sub-zero).

Cold day, been sitting a while- 5 minutes past when the valves stop clattering (maybe a 30-60 seconds).

I always shift to neutral and let the transmission (manual) spin during the warm up period to get as much oil flowing in it as possible, too.

And if it's snowy/icy, I let it run for however long it takes me to clean it off, which can be close to 10 minutes if I have to chisel ice off the windows and dig it out of the snow.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Most of the time, I start it up - watch the oil pressure gauge come up to 50 psi and go. I still take it easy until it's warmed up completely, though.

If it's colder I end up waiting a bit longer, but the thing is.. I broke my e-brake and haven't gotten around to fixing it. So, sitting there with my foot on the brake and it in neutral can be pretty boring. :rofl:

Fellro

Staff member
Typically, pretty much start and go, except in the winter. I also run Lucas oil treatment, so not as much of a dry start... I hate wasting the fuel from sitting there idling.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts