Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

can't post to Certified Ford Tech Help Forum

andym

Real men are fanatics
For some reason I don't have permission to post in this forum. Am I not on the list with the rest of the cool kids? :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol, it was only a matter of time before someone asked.

Yeah Andy they changed the permissions so only Tech's can post there, that was the original idea behind that section. Obviously mods and admins still can but even we're not supposed to offer tech advice, so don't feel left out :D

andym

Real men are fanatics
I see the logic behind this. You want new users to be able to post in a forum where they can get "safe" advice from Ford certified techs. In a general forum, people are going to give a lot of random, unrelated, anecdotal, or just plain bad advice. I've seen enough of it on other sites. *ahem* :D

But that's just the nature of forums. If you want the official Ford answer, then ask your dealership or take one of their techs out to lunch. If you want an answer from an Internet forum, then you're going to have to weed out the bad information from the good. Even a novice user can start to tell if the advice they're getting is bad or misleading. If nothing else, people will jump in and say, "No, that's wrong, don't listen to that guy." Those types of users don't usually hang around long anyway. They get tired of being wrong, and either stop posting altogether or start trying to become more knowledgeable.

Secondly, there are TONS of backyard mechanics that know a lot about Ford trucks. Between three or four users here I could name off the top of my head, they could easily disassemble an entire truck down to the nuts and put it back together and have it running in a week. And none of them have ever been inside a dealership service bay.

Not to say that the techs here don't know what they're doing; they obviously do. But even that novice user can quickly figure out who those people are. In fact, I think many have "Ford certified tech" in their signature to make it even more obvious.

Lastly, I'd hate to think that a new user didn't get enough of the right advice in time and walked away disappointed in the site as a result because no one allowed to answer the question saw it. Or even worse, none of the responses hit on the correct answer. How many times have you read a new thread that starts: "I took it to the dealership and they were stumped... please help me". Again, not knocking the techs that post here at all.

There is a post right now about a ranger consuming oil and the poster doesn't know where it's going. I had the exact same problem and could not offer my advice on the subject. If none of the Ford techs post what I could add, then the user might or might not find his answer as quickly.

Bottom line - this is a *forum* - by definition, it's made up of the contributions of all users, smart and not-so-smart.

And that's all I have to say about *that*. :D

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I see the logic behind this. You want new users to be able to post in a forum where they can get "safe" advice from Ford certified techs. In a general forum, people are going to give a lot of random, unrelated, anecdotal, or just plain bad advice. I've seen enough of it on other sites. *ahem* :D

But that's just the nature of forums. If you want the official Ford answer, then ask your dealership or take one of their techs out to lunch. If you want an answer from an Internet forum, then you're going to have to weed out the bad information from the good. Even a novice user can start to tell if the advice they're getting is bad or misleading. If nothing else, people will jump in and say, "No, that's wrong, don't listen to that guy." Those types of users don't usually hang around long anyway. They get tired of being wrong, and either stop posting altogether or start trying to become more knowledgeable.

Secondly, there are TONS of backyard mechanics that know a lot about Ford trucks. Between three or four users here I could name off the top of my head, they could easily disassemble an entire truck down to the nuts and put it back together and have it running in a week. And none of them have ever been inside a dealership service bay.

Not to say that the techs here don't know what they're doing; they obviously do. But even that novice user can quickly figure out who those people are. In fact, I think many have "Ford certified tech" in their signature to make it even more obvious.

Lastly, I'd hate to think that a new user didn't get enough of the right advice in time and walked away disappointed in the site as a result because no one allowed to answer the question saw it. Or even worse, none of the responses hit on the correct answer. How many times have you read a new thread that starts: "I took it to the dealership and they were stumped... please help me". Again, not knocking the techs that post here at all.

There is a post right now about a ranger consuming oil and the poster doesn't know where it's going. I had the exact same problem and could not offer my advice on the subject. If none of the Ford techs post what I could add, then the user might or might not find his answer as quickly.

Bottom line - this is a *forum* - by definition, it's made up of the contributions of all users, smart and not-so-smart.

And that's all I have to say about *that*. :D
To be honest Andy, we debated about it the admin/mod panel... Okay 'debate' is the wrong word :rofl: Everyone was in favor of giving the techs exclusive privilege to post there and I believe I was the only one that said something similar to what you said above (though more concise). We debated back and forth and they convinced me that it'd be a good idea. I think what we need to do is make some sort of disclaimer in the Tech Only forum that says "ONLY CERTIFIED TECHS WILL SEE THIS THREAD, IF YOU WANT HELP FROM OTHER MEMBERS -- REPOST IN A PUBLIC SECTION" ---- Or something to that effect.

FTF has hundreds of certified techs that work together behind the scenes (in some sections that even MODS AND ADMINS can't touch). So the tech only area is where they can go to provide help to backyard mechanics without having to argue with you and me about what's right and wrong.

I will definitely talk to the admins about remedying this. I do not think it's clear enough to the thread creator that their thread will ONLY get cert'd tech attention.

To be honest Andy, we debated about it the admin/mod panel... Okay 'debate' is the wrong word :rofl: Everyone was in favor of giving the techs exclusive privilege to post there and I believe I was the only one that said something similar to what you said above (though more concise). We debated back and forth and they convinced me that it'd be a good idea. I think what we need to do is make some sort of disclaimer in the Tech Only forum that says "ONLY CERTIFIED TECHS WILL SEE THIS THREAD, IF YOU WANT HELP FROM OTHER MEMBERS -- REPOST IN A PUBLIC SECTION" ---- Or something to that effect.

FTF has hundreds of certified techs that work together behind the scenes (in some sections that even MODS AND ADMINS can't touch. So the tech only area is where they can go to provide help to backyard mechanics without having to argue with you and me about what's right and wrong.

I will definitely talk to the admins about remedying this. I do not think it's clear enough to the thread creator that their thread will ONLY get cert'd tech attention.

Yeah, that sounds like a fair compromise...nothing wrong with posting in two places. One place giving you Cert. Tech. advice, the other giving you the "from experience" advice Andy was talking about earlier.

I'm am MASTER CERTIFIED PARTS MANAGER and I can't post there?

hmmmm?

I think I am way qualified to give the wrong answer smilietease after being in the business over 25 years. or maybe try and give the right answer oh I dont know now. smiliestirthepot

Ed

Mind your parts ED :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm am MASTER CERTIFIED PARTS MANAGER and I can't post there?

hmmmm?

I think I am way qualified to give the wrong answer smilietease after being in the business over 25 years. or maybe try and give the right answer oh I dont know now. smiliestirthepot

Ed
You can't post there? I'm on the phone with Brad now and he said that it was supposed to be fixed...

That needs to be cured.....I understand tight reigns there but not a keep out like Andym spoke of. Just my 2 cents

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
People are free to double post in this instance.

We stand by the Certified Ford Tech area as being an area that will offer answers from only Cert Tech's.

Ryan

R..I don't know what that means....call me and give me hell if need be.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
When we started the boards, we knew an area that offered Certified Ford Tech answers would be appealing to the masses. If a person can get an answer from someone who is verfied and certified to know what they're talking about, it makes them feel better.

If they want responses from other mechanics or backyard mechanics like most of us, they are free to post the topic in the relevant forum.

If anyone is allowed to post there, we may as well nuke the area. We do see its role, though, and would like to keep it because of how good a marketing and research tool it can be.

Ryan

Gotcha.....

Yeah Andy they changed the permissions so only Tech's can post there, that was the original idea behind that section. Obviously mods and admins still can but even we're not supposed to offer tech advice, so don't feel left out :D

Let me gets this straight...anyone can start threads, but only certified Ford techs/parts people can respond to threads.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
If only certified ford tech's are supposed to answer, how come you (Chris) replied to F350's question about burping his cooling system? Only seems right to let the ford tech's do the talking.. :goldteef:

P.s. I've never heard of a block pitting because of an air pocket...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
If only certified ford tech's are supposed to answer, how come you (Chris) replied to F350's question about burping his cooling system? Only seems right to let the ford tech's do the talking.. :goldteef:

I would have to agree with that. As much as I like Chris as a person he is NOT a certified ford tech as the name implies and therefore should be excluded from posting responses, as should any mod or admin not meeting the specific criteria.

The obvious exception would be where moderation needed to happen with a thread.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
We see the Tech Help forum as an added feature or bonus to the website. It is not intended to take away from the vast knowledge that other users have to offer.

This is a learning experience for everyone and somethings may need to be changed. We appreciate everyones input.

Would a message or announcement posted in the tech forum describing how it is intended to be used and suggesting to double post in the appropriate truck forum be of any help.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts