Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Blackstone Analysis

This uoa is from my second oil change since I bought this truck last August.I changed the oil right after I got it, as I had no way of knowing how long it had gone. The truck is used on trips and such, not as a daily driver and does little towing (read: once, about 6000 pounds, 250miles).I do get it out at least once a week to "stretch it's legs".

I would like to get some thoughts on the report, and on Blackstone's overview of the report - particularly regarding fuel dilution/viscosity/shearing and also the high concentration of Molybdenum.

(Kind of curious why they referred to it as my "Cat", too)

002.jpg

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I would think that they called it a Cat because they do alot of surveys for heavy equipment? That's all I have to add..

Hey Steve,

From being a jet mech in the AF, I recall taking these samples regularly.

I also seem to recall that certain elements were directly related to certain parts.

For instance: high copper in a piston motor may mean a bearing is failing.

So your high moly reading translates to a specific part.....just don't know what.

All the shearing/viscosity mumbo jumbo is directly related to the dilution because of the fuel.....they say don't worry about it; so I wouldn't.

Subsequent tests that have higher than normal readings are more of a worry than a one time reading.

If we had high readings on a turbine, we'd do a couple drain and flushes to see if the PPM would come down before replacing parts.

If the element stayed high, we'd cross refrence what could be causing it, hoping it was an external pump or other part so that we wouldn't have to pull the motor (even though on an F-4, sometimes it was easier to remove a motor than certain parts.

I'm thinking "CAT" is their nomenclature for the sample.....an acronym for sumpin'. " _ _ _ _ Analysis Test" ??????

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
This report is fine.

1% fuel dilution is OK. Mine is always between .5 - 1% depending on how much idling I do and how much my truck is warmed up before taking a sample.

Moly is an assembly lube and found in certain motor oils. Different brands have diferent levels of moly. If you check on the Blackstone Labs site, they have a complete explanation of what each wear metal means and what causes a reading to be high.

In a 6.0L PSD motor, most change their oil every 5,000 miles regardless if using convential or synthetic oil... and of course... a Racor/OEM oil filter. Motorcraft oil filters at Walmart are only $19.99/ea!!!!

Check out the link/thread below for why to use only a Racor/OEM oil filter. Racor makes Motorcraft and Framm oil filters for the 6.0L!!!!!

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4466

Last edited:
Thanks, Bbc.

As seldom as I drive the truck, I'm not looking to extend the interval between changes - it just doesn't make sense to risk it.

Well, I got the results back from my latest UOA. The first since I switched from Delvac1300 to Rotella 15w/40.

Needless to say, I'm happy .
Blackstone2.jpg

I think I'm going to stay with the Rotella.....

Wow that's very cool. Do they do gassers too? What'd it cost you?
They do it for anything you want to send in. $20.

The website addy is at the bottom of the page. Be sure you put the (-) in there, otherwise you go to a page for Labrador Retrievers.

Yeah, no more fuel contamination, this is GOOD.

Funny though how a switch in oil type could have that effect......like to know the physics behind that one.

I'm pretty sure the fuel contamination was high on the previous analysis because I didn't run the truck long enough before I took the sample.

RocketScience

Alleged Recruiter
I'm pretty sure the fuel contamination was high on the previous analysis because I didn't run the truck long enough before I took the sample.
SHAME ON YOU!!! :D

Done anything with the tranny oil yet?

I was braggin' to Jack about my "if it aint broke, don't fix it" philosophy as it pertained to my 140K mi. trans in my SD -oil always looked fine, never used any.

Spoke too soon. Sure as shlitz, it dynamited two months ago.

CHICHING!....$3800.00

Ah - the dreaded 4r100.

That's about exactly what I paid for a rebuilt in my '94 a couple of years ago when we were up to visit our niece in Oak Harbor. I got off of I-5 around 6o -something street in Seattle to find a place for the dog to take a whiz and as I was slowing to a stop it felt like we were rear ended. Luckily we were able to make it up to her place, and I took it to Lee Myles (gag) in Oak Harbor.

Seattle must be rough on 4r100's

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Great results on your Blackstone report.

Interesting to see that your oil was within viscosity range for a normal 15W-40 oil. The 6.0L PSD motor is known to shear all oils down to that of a 30 weight in the first few 2,000 miles or so.

I ran Motorcraft 15W-40 for 50,000 miles and then Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and have never had an issue, but my viscosity is always low????

This is why I change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

You went over 6,000 miles and your viscosity was great!!!!

Enjoy.....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts