Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shell Rotella-Syn (5W-40) is Now CJ4 Rated!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks for the update. I'm using it.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Jeff, I just noticed that Scamsoil no longer sells their only API Certified (CI-4) diesel oil, PCO!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks for the update. I'm using it.

Where did you find CJ4 Rotella-Syn so fast?

I am due for an oil change and may wait an extra week or so to see if my local Walmart gets any of the new stock.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Jeff, I just noticed that Scamsoil no longer sells their only API Certified (CI-4) diesel oil, PCO!!!

Oh well... no loss to anyone.

CI4+ is an old spec and Amsoil is overpriced and over-rated for the money.

They probably didn't sell enough of an old spec'd oil to make worth their time & money.

I am a firm believer in Shell, Mobil and others that manuafcture a quality synthetic motor oil and have tested it to meet or exceed API certification guidelines.

p.s. - Don't ruin my thread by talking about Amsoil... this company is not worth it by taking up valuable internet bandwidth to discuss!!!

Personally, I use Rotella-Syn due to lower cost, good oil anaylsis reports and how easy it is to buy at Walmart!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
That Should Have Been I Will Be Using It

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Changed my oil last week and used the new Rotella-Syn CJ4 spec'd oil.

I changed out my full-flow and by-pass filters and will pull a sample to send ut for testing when I change my oil again in 5,000 miles.

I am testing a new full-flow filter (synthetic media) for Racor (OEM manufacture for Motorcraft) so I wonder if this new media will do anything different or better running the same 5,000 mile interval?

We shal see in 4,500 miles!!!

Kep4

Jäger
Thanks for the update Jeff. I'm looking forward to your Racor syn-media filter report!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks for the update Jeff. I'm looking forward to your Racor syn-media filter report!

Me to...

Wonder if only driving 5,000 between oil changes will show anything? Even running a by-pass oil filter did not improve my Blackstone reports since the motor oil still has plenty of additive left in it to suspend the particles.

Racor hand-made a few full-flow filters with a 2-stage media design, so it will be interesting to see, what if any, difference can be measured.

jeff, im curious about this new filter your talikng about, did they just change the way they manufacture it?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
jeff, im curious about this new filter your talikng about, did they just change the way they manufacture it?

No, it has a different media they are testing... but look and fit is 100% OEM.

Beyond that, I will not state as this filter is being tested and nothing official has been announced... and for all I know, this is a test filter and not even being considered for production.

At first, I thought they were sending me a different by-pass oil filter... so I was shocked at the new full-flow.

My thinking is that if my Rotella Syn 5W-40 does its job with only 5,000 miles on it, I am suspecting that my Blackstone report will not be much different. This is due to the fact that a quality CJ4 spec'd oil should have enough additives in it to keep any abrasive particles in suspension and/or caught by the filter... but with a by-pass filter and consistent 5,000 miles oil and filter changes, I suspect my report to be the same (even with the new test filter).

interesting, thanks!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Stay tuned...

In 600 miles, it will be time to change my oil and filter.

I will pull a sample and send to Blackstone as this will be my first sample of the new CJ4 certified oil (same Rotella-Syn), just the newer API specification.

By the end of the month, I will be ready!!!!!

Standing by for your report. Thanks for the infor.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Report is in @ 132,390 miles

Attached is a copy of my Blackstone oil analysis report (broke it down into 3 images so it is easier to read each section).

This sample had 4,814 miles on it and my truck has a total of 132,390 on the motor.

All is well and all values on the report look good and consistent with prior reports.

What was different for this analysis is the following:

1) Running same oil and type, but is new CJ4 spec'd oil rather than the old CI4+ (Rotella-Syn 5W-40).

2) The full-flow oil filter was hand-built Racor test filter they sent me to try. It had a different media and each pleat was held in place to allow uniform spacing all the way around for even oil filtration and flow.

The miles on the oil were consistent with prior samples sent in and all samples were taken after driving for 20 minutes or more on the highway, so the oil was hot and very "fluid".

It appears that the "test filter" that Racor sent me performed no different than a stock Racor/OEM filter they are currently selling. The values for insoluables was slighly higher, but only by 2 tenths, so not very much. Maybe the new CJ4 spec'd oil kept the insoluables suspended much better and therefore not able for the filter to filter it out???

Bottom line, my motor is running well at 132,390 miles!!!!!

Attachments

• Blackstone Report - 132,390 (1).jpg
  • Blackstone Report - 132,390 (2).jpg
  • Blackstone Report - 132,390 (3).jpg
Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Beach Thanks for the update. Great to hear good news about the 6.0L

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts