Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Default Turbo Vane Question

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ok, so I know it's been debated over and over about disconnecting the EGR and how it makes the vanes go into a default that can allow over boosting. So, I've been trying a little experiment.

In my race mode program by Eric at Innovative Diesel (which is usually my DD program), he has it setup to go all out with everything it's got, so my boost will hit 35 to 40 pounds at full throttle. That sounds like they may be at the default position or programmed to be at least.

Now, earlier this week I launched our boat, so I set it down to my Aggressive Tow program since the boat and trailer is only 8500 lbs. I haven't put it back up yet because I want to be ready for the boats first breakdown of the season. Always seems to happen on the Holiday weekends. lol So, I've been driving it with the tow program and I've found that when I hammer it, it won't go over 22 pounds of boost at all.

So, with the EGR MIA and the programming custom done, it seems that the vanes do not go into a default mode and overboost.

Soes that make sense?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
im no expert at tuning but i do know this. the more heat energy created (fueling) the harder the turbo will spin (boost). if you cut back power and fuel the truck will make less boost. since you are running a tuner, if the tuner removes the egr programming, then the egr/default vane issue should not come about in my thinking.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok, so I know it's been debated over and over about disconnecting the EGR and how it makes the vanes go into a default that can allow over boosting. So, I've been trying a little experiment.

In my race mode program by Eric at Innovative Diesel (which is usually my DD program), he has it setup to go all out with everything it's got, so my boost will hit 35 to 40 pounds at full throttle. That sounds like they may be at the default position or programmed to be at least.

Now, earlier this week I launched our boat, so I set it down to my Aggressive Tow program since the boat and trailer is only 8500 lbs. I haven't put it back up yet because I want to be ready for the boats first breakdown of the season. Always seems to happen on the Holiday weekends. lol So, I've been driving it with the tow program and I've found that when I hammer it, it won't go over 22 pounds of boost at all.

So, with the EGR MIA and the programming custom done, it seems that the vanes do not go into a default mode and overboost.

Soes that make sense?
You're backward, Todd. The default will be low teens or so of boost. Its more than what you would normally have taking off from a stop, but less than what you can get at high boost situations.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
You're backward, Todd. The default will be low teens or so of boost. Its more than what you would normally have taking off from a stop, but less than what you can get at high boost situations.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid Sound like the tuner is cutting the boost back. If you had full boost while towing and hammered it the tires would come loose. In tring to avoid this it's tuned down slightly, gives plenty of power without getting crazy. Try towing with it programed for max performance and just nail it you'll see what I "think" im talking about..

Storm

Its the programming Todd.. We can modify it to push an X amount of boost based on Fuel input. Overboost situation will occur on a non-programmed stock truck, but on a programmed truck its 98% of the time due to the way the tables are wrote.

Eric's Race program is a hot program that will boost 35-40lbs, nature of the programming and the parameters set. The aggressive is toned down a bit to keep from breaking the tires loose with load.. Not a good thing to do..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts