Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Focus hard starting

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So, as some of you know, I've borrowed my father's '07 Focus for a road trip, put a bit over 4000 miles on it in the last 8 days.

Yesterday morning, in Spokane, when I first went to start it, it cranked longer than usual (maybe 5-6 seconds). Then later in the day (several on-off cycles), when I went to start it, it cranked long enough that I released the key (maybe 8 seconds). Fired up fine then. Tonight, it cranked a little longer than usual, but nowhere near as bad as the other two times. (Cranks at normal speed,not like the battery is low.) All three times it was raining or had rained and was damp. I've started the car at least a dozen times (probably more) in the last two days, and those three were the only times it's given me any trouble at all.

This car did this to me once when it was nearly brand new (400 miles or so), too, but I don't remember the details. I mentioned it to Dad, and he hadn't noticed any issues with it.

2007 Focus, base model 2.0 4-cyl, 5-speed, 16.4k miles

Only light it's thrown was "Check gas cap" today, but since I'd cross-threaded it, I don't think that's anything related.

I'm not too terribly concerned about it, but on the other hand, I don't want to get stranded. Do you guys think this is something I should get looked at ASAP, or something to mention when I take it back in for it's oil change when I return?

blacksnapon

Staff member
So, as some of you know, I've borrowed my father's '07 Focus for a road trip, put a bit over 4000 miles on it in the last 8 days.

Yesterday morning, in Spokane, when I first went to start it, it cranked longer than usual (maybe 5-6 seconds). Then later in the day (several on-off cycles), when I went to start it, it cranked long enough that I released the key (maybe 8 seconds). Fired up fine then. Tonight, it cranked a little longer than usual, but nowhere near as bad as the other two times. (Cranks at normal speed,not like the battery is low.) All three times it was raining or had rained and was damp. I've started the car at least a dozen times (probably more) in the last two days, and those three were the only times it's given me any trouble at all.

This car did this to me once when it was nearly brand new (400 miles or so), too, but I don't remember the details. I mentioned it to Dad, and he hadn't noticed any issues with it.

2007 Focus, base model 2.0 4-cyl, 5-speed, 16.4k miles

Only light it's thrown was "Check gas cap" today, but since I'd cross-threaded it, I don't think that's anything related.

I'm not too terribly concerned about it, but on the other hand, I don't want to get stranded. Do you guys think this is something I should get looked at ASAP, or something to mention when I take it back in for it's oil change when I return?
I would have to say, don't dis-regard it, but when its oil change time, mention it. It will help if you notice any particular patterns (starting cold/hot, is it raining, etc) I looked in tsbs regarding 07 focus, and there isn't anything regarding hard start. There is about the cap, however.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK, thanks. It doesn't really seem to be too bad, but I figured I'd ask, in case it was a common problem that tended to get real bad quickly.

EDIT: I just heard back from Dad again; I guess this car has done this intermittently right along. Not sure why he hasn't mentioned it to the dealer before :rolleyes: but if it's done it right along and never not started, I'm not too worried.

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
At least you're out here where most folks are friendly. If you get stranded put out the word. Still in Spokane huh?

My all-time favorite fix: turn up the radio!

Strange but true phenom - the farther you are from home, the more you hear noises you never heard before :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
At least you're out here where most folks are friendly. If you get stranded put out the word. Still in Spokane huh?
Down in Portland, now...and yeah, folks are friendlier here.

d-kuzman said:
Could be an IAC or older Focus's were know for there fuel pumps.
Yeah, I know about Focus fuel pumps...three years ago, I borrowed Dad's '00 Focus for a road trip, and lost the fuel pump in Denver. I'm thinking it's maybe the IAC; one of my earlier thoughts was something with the chipped key, but now that I think about it a little more, I think the red light would go on the dash if that was it.

I'm going to try to push it through 'til home if I can, I started the car several times today without any trouble at all, and it was raining some. Since it's done this right along, I don't think it's too likely to get worse in a big hurry (hoping, anyway).

Thanks!

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Down in Portland, now...and yeah, folks are friendlier here.

Yeah, I know about Focus fuel pumps...three years ago, I borrowed Dad's '00 Focus for a road trip, and lost the fuel pump in Denver. I'm thinking it's maybe the IAC; one of my earlier thoughts was something with the chipped key, but now that I think about it a little more, I think the red light would go on the dash if that was it.

I'm going to try to push it through 'til home if I can, I started the car several times today without any trouble at all, and it was raining some. Since it's done this right along, I don't think it's too likely to get worse in a big hurry (hoping, anyway).

Thanks!

Yeah the key would give you a rapid flashing light.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah, somewhere along the line I had a key that was cut but not yet programmed, and I tried to start the car with it, and once I thought about it for a while, I remembered the light.

I was initially thinking that because I didn't know if it had ever happened to Dad, and I think I'm using the spare key, not the one he always uses to start the car, but it was just a stab in the dark.

IAC is certainly the most likely culprit- nothing else really fits. No drivability issues, not always after setting a long time, or always a warm start...

*Since it's still under warranty, I'd like to give the dealership as much info as I can to help them diagnose it whenever it goes in, without just telling them what I think it might be. Since it's very intermittent, what questions would you guys like the answers to if the vehicle showed up in your bay?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
*Since it's still under warranty, I'd like to give the dealership as much info as I can to help them diagnose it whenever it goes in, without just telling them what I think it might be. Since it's very intermittent, what questions would you guys like the answers to if the vehicle showed up in your bay?

I'd be asking how long does it sit, hows it run, any work done lately?

Fellro

Staff member
I am also wondering when the fuel filter was done, may or may not be related, since it likes to do it every so often through it's life, but it could very easily be fuel related.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Just an update, I've put another couple thousand on the car without a repeat of the problem. [confused]

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Local dealer was unable to reproduce the problem (unsurprising- it's very intermittent), but found the IAC to be out of spec and will be replacing it under warranty tomorrow (if the part comes in).

Thanks for the help guys!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Local dealer was unable to reproduce the problem (unsurprising- it's very intermittent), but found the IAC to be out of spec and will be replacing it under warranty tomorrow (if the part comes in).

Well, the problem still exists, basically unchanged from what I have seen. Dad had today off, so he dropped the car off this morning to get an oil change, and see if they could take a look at this again, too.

I think they just guessed IAC and threw a new one on it last time; paperwork said it tested out bad, but I don't think it really did. I'm thinking someone has a diagnostic headache on their hands now- it's very intermittent. (Though it did rain today...)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts