Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Interesting substitute for jackstands..

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
i might have done a little cross bracing between the boards (front-back)...unless thats what the sheet of plywood is for. if not, wonder y that's there.

looks like he's got 4 jackstands sitting in the one pic - they aren't that big of a pain. and what do you do with 20' of ramps when you're done with them. then in 6 months when it's all rotted....

EDIT...page 6 the builder and a couple other guys get into it
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98085&page=6

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Odds are excellent if you were caught under it, you'd be dead.

Yeah, I'll agree it's dangerously stupid, but in a moment of desperation, I might do the same thing.

Where's Carl with the pic of his mower up on the porch? I HAVE done that....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If you look at the last picture which shows the insides of the plywood, there is NO triangulation or gusseting in that thing anywhere. Very scary.

And he claims to be a mechanic engineer... I'm a freakin computer programmer and I can tell that thing AIN'T SAFE!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The plywood keeps it from tipping over when you drive up on to it.

Same way it does on the wall of a house.

Not that I'm saying it's a good, safe design- it's not.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The plywood keeps it from tipping over when you drive up on to it.

Same way it does on the wall of a house.

Not that I'm saying it's a good, safe design- it's not.
Maybe so, but house's dont have 4000+ lbs driving across their rooftops...

I dunno man... The force require to bring the inertia of the car down to zero after you get to the top of the ramp is more than one would think, even at low speeds. And where does all that force get absorbed? Into that flimsy plywood and nails on the sides... I'd be MUCH more comfortable if he braced it with some heavier pieces of wood that can't flex and snap my plywood.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I wasn't saying I thought it was a good idea...just explaining why it didn't fall down the first time he used it.

Only reason I can't say I wouldn't do it, is that desperation has led me to doing a few dangerously stupid things working on cars/tractors before...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
i was going to say the same thing - maybe he should put drywall on the inside to make it stronger
If you're gonna dry wall, why not add some insulation and a hose to an A/C duct from the house while you're at it. A guy needs to be comfortable if he's gonna be pinned under 4K #'s for a while. smilietease

That maybe a lot safer than this one

Truck_on_blocks.jpg

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Now I've used cement blocks with wood on top and on a solid surface in a pinch . But that is just scary.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts