Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Driver Information Center Mod???

Hey I have a 07 F350 XLT PSD and was interested in what it would take to install the components required to get information like range and fuel milage out of my driver information canter like the Lariats are equipped with. It seems to me that it should not be that hard but I may be way off

blacksnapon

Staff member
Never really looked into an addition like that, but I would think it would be costly. You would need a module to co-ordinate all the information (gem, instrument cluster, etc), and the harness to match up with the modules/components in the system.

I figure most if not all of the instrumentation is all ready there. It should be a matter of a hardware or even software change to give the desired output. Unless I had the luxury of taking apart a Lariat I would not know. Calculation of fuel milage requires fuel flow and vehicle speed which are already sensed for various things. It may be that the difference is just a matter of interconnecting wiring between existing modules to allow that data to the trip computer. Or I could be completely off base here. It is added as a function of the trim level of the truck and the Lariat is not that much more expensive than my truck. I attributed most of the price difference to the leather seats.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I figure most if not all of the instrumentation is all ready there. It should be a matter of a hardware or even software change to give the desired output. Unless I had the luxury of taking apart a Lariat I would not know. Calculation of fuel milage requires fuel flow and vehicle speed which are already sensed for various things. It may be that the difference is just a matter of interconnecting wiring between existing modules to allow that data to the trip computer. Or I could be completely off base here. It is added as a function of the trim level of the truck and the Lariat is not that much more expensive than my truck. I attributed most of the price difference to the leather seats.
You're right, you may have the correct harnesses and modules in place. There will undoubtedly be programming issues as well. If all components are there (including the information panel) it might be as simple as a reprogram.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Looking at the wiring diagrams you would need the message center switchs, I don't know where the message center is located if it's in the cluster itself you may need to change that out as well. Can't say for sure. I'll check with the parts dept to see if theres different clusters avail or if it's just a programing thing.

There is this thing I found here on another msg bd http://www.scangauge.com/
For $170 it claims to plug directly into the OBDII port and do basically what I want. If the mod costs much more than that I would most likely go that route...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts