Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sloopy Steering

Michigan
Hey, my steering seams to be getting more sloppy.... So i was thinking its my box. But first i want to know if there is a rag joint between the steering shaft and the box?

{Note}. I have a Whole new tie rod kit that i bought when i first got the truck. So those are all brand new.

Any ideas?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Have someone turn the wheel while you look at the steering, then you will be able to see whats moving on ya, its either play in the box, or them tie rods are gone again. There is no rag joint, there all mini u joints.

Michigan
Ok kool. Yea i had my cousin turn the wheel back and fourth and i definatly think its my box. Il have to check and see how much a reman box is. Thanks for the help

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
When looking at reman boxes, find out who does the remanufacturing of them. Then google them. Some suppliers are better than others.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Sloopy steering?

There's only one thing you can do man..............

"HAAAANG ON SLOOPY! SLOOPY HANG ON!"

Thats about all you can do ;)

Gunner

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sloopy steering?

There's only one thing you can do man..............

"HAAAANG ON SLOOPY! SLOOPY HANG ON!"

Thats about all you can do ;)

Gunner
Hahahha nice catch. I didn't see that the first time around.

Keep us posted on the reman box Mike, mine's pretty 'sloopy' too :rofl:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Ok kool. Yea i had my cousin turn the wheel back and fourth and i definatly think its my box. Il have to check and see how much a reman box is. Thanks for the help

You can take up the movement in the box usually by turning the adjusting screw on the top of the box. I'll check to see if theres a procedure for it.

Michigan
Gunner that is the truth. It seams like the more i try to correct it the sloppier or the more it goes all over the raod. If i keep just one hand at about 9 o clock and just correct lightley il go down the road straight. But thats a PITA! d-kuzmen im at school and il check out alldata while im here. Thanks

hey jr
if they faised out the rag joint in the 80s then why does my 92 have one at the top of the box ,its under that little black plastic round thing that covers it

hey tony im still awaiting delivery on the silverbullit so i can make grabber green babys with it.

biggin

Michigan
if they faised out the rag joint in the 80s then why does my 92 have one at the top of the box ,its under that little black plastic round thing that covers it
then somethings up with it lol. Mine is bolted rite to the box and no rag joint at all..

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
My 93 has none. But who knows .

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Wierd. Yea you losen the nut on top of the box that holds the adjuster from moving. Dont go 2 tight with it. 1/4 turn at a time and try it out.

Michigan
Ok yea il try it. Thanks all

Michigan
Ok i tried it.... Yea that thing aint gonna turn.... I would say someone messed with it before but i had to use a breaker bar and an added bar to get that dang thing loose! So idk. Im gonna call around tomorrow to see how much a steering box is.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I heard napa got them for like 170 or so.

Michigan
Ok good deal. Imma go shop around tomorrow. How much do power steering pumps run? Ive got a bit of whining coming from mine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts