Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Internal slave cylinder T O

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I was helping a friend change his clutch. '88 150 4x4 5.0 with the mazda? transmission (bellhousing integral with trans case) First internal slave cylinder T O I've messed with.

Anyway my question is about removing the clutch hydraulic line from the T O slave cylinder (for lack of a better description) The Haynes manual said to slide the plastic collar back and pull the line out - didn't happen no matter how hard we pulled the line or pushed the collar back into the housing.

Eventually we undid the bolts on the firewall that hold the line in place. Got enough slack that way that we could slide the trans back enough to swap out the clutch. Fortunately we didn't break the line and it all went back together nicely.

So, what were we missing? How do you get the line separated?

My 86 150 4x4 5.0 has the external slave. I can do that one in my sleep.

Thanks,
Tim

blacksnapon

Staff member
There is a tool for that. Its a flat piece of steel, roughly 1 1/2 inch by 4 inches with a "fork" on one end that fits around the white collar, pushing it back. At times however, it is ornery to remove even with the tool.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
We had the tool - it still didn't want to come out. Sounds like we did everything right except pull hard enough to break it..... at least we didn't forget something.

Thanks!

Fellro

Staff member
I've wondered about that, I haven't had the personal displeasure of having to do that as yet, but I see one on the horizon, except I figure can cheat and take the master loose to slide it all back and do the leaking main seal... at least until the darn thing should fail...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
it can be a pain the ass sometimes. ive got about 3-4 different styles for my truck which has the integral slave cylinder in it. 2 plastic and 2 metal. you just have to work with it and it will come free

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I appreciate your input. Good news was we got it all back together and he's off and running. Just wasn't as handy since the trans remained 'tethered' to the firewall. Bonus - we didn't have to bleed it.

I've been inside every part of my 86 so often I don't even need the book anymore. I've had it since '89 and it now has something over 330,000 miles on the clock and is still a daily driver. Third engine is fresh, trans has been rebuilt twice,9" rear end twice. Last time (10 years ago) I dumped the ltd slip and stuck in a plain ol' open carrier because it had a repeat problem of stripping the end of the axle spline. The only original sheetmetal is the cab and hood. Couple of serious accidents did that. It's had a hard life, but it's a keeper.

andym

Real men are fanatics
I hate to tell you but the slave cylinder *always* fails within a year of doing a clutch. :)

Last time I did one it popped right off after I slid the collar back. I would imagine it just takes some persuasion.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks for that bit of sunshine Andy - LOL. I'll be sure to warn him........... nah, let him be surprised!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts