Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

TOTM format

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
What about changing the TOTM format to a user poll similar to the way The Diesel Garage does it?

Users nominate trucks. Then a poll goes up on nominated trucks and a winner is selected by popular vote? Maybe get a little more user interaction on this stuff?

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
What about changing the TOTM format to a user poll similar to the way The Diesel Garage does it?

Users nominate trucks. Then a poll goes up on nominated trucks and a winner is selected by popular vote? Maybe get a little more user interaction on this stuff?

Do we have enough users yet who have pictures posted?

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA

Wouldn't some be overlooked that way? and some would be nominated more than others , I like the Admins picking the TOTM, makes it more of a surprise that way, which by the way i am still waiting for my nomination ,lmao

Fellro

Staff member
It's hard to say what is better, with a poll, it gets to be a popularity contest, while being picked anonymously can have it's issues as well. By anonymous pick, even some of the ugly trucks get a chance (like mine ...) With a a poll, it isn't as likely a ugly truck would ever make it. Then it becomes bling or lift or what have you to get the win... I have none, and desire none, as a reference. I doubt mine would ever get featured anyway, so I don't get too worried about it anyway. It does what I want it to, that IS what matters to me. Anyone else likes it great, if not, oh well, don't particularly care. It is nice to get noticed, but it won't be the end of the world to never get it either.

Aaron. I have seen it done both ways. Both have drawbacks and plusses. The votes...tend to be the same ones over and over. As Fellro said they become a popularity contest.

One site claimed that any truck could win, however, in reality (over several years) only those trucks that were lifted or lowered ever won. I think it is interesting the way it is now because many different types, styles, and years have won. It does not matter if they are pretty, custom, or a beat up one like mine (there is hope Fellro). With over 500 members now, the chances are going down a little for each one of us.

I have no clue how the TOTM is chosen here. It just happens. I sort of like that.

The down side is the general members (and mods) don't get to vote or even nominate.

I am not sure if there is some sort of compromise between the two systems maybe? Anyone have ideas how to do that?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I like the admins doing it. They've pretty much been hands off with everything else, and them doing it gives a more "personal" feel, that they are glad for the members participation, thus a reward.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yeah i like the admins choosing it. that way it seems pretty far for everyone and random too.

Storm

Pfft I've been here for months.. I never got nominated.. Just straight hatin :(

smilietease

Fellro

Staff member
Imagine being here within a week of it starting!!!:guns: :suspicious: smiliestirthepot

Fellro

Staff member
Unless they have been cleared out, they were there.... Yup, still there! :smilietease: Could use some better ones, of course...

Last edited:

Storm

If ROGER gets TOTM I'm gonna go old school.. "Say hello to MAH LIL FRIEND!"

LMAO

what about a poll with private results

give us 10 trucks to choose from and let us vote. the TOTM winner doesn't necessarily HAVE to be to top vote, but the poll results give the admins a little feedback on their choice.

Fellro

Staff member
OK... not entirely sure what you mean by that , but hey...
Anyways, I had an idea. Obviously, there is absolutely no way everyone can get nominated or named, just too many. A thought... continue the TOTM, but also have other mentions perhaps, so more can be noticed. In essence, have one as the pick of the month, and other "honorable mentions"...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I sent a PM to Aaron with an explaination for why we're doing it the way we do, and think it's probably appropriate to throw it out in the open.

We have been growing, but in reality, the pool of folks who put up photos of their trucks isn't that enormous. We have a hard time coming up with one fresh truck per month (while trying to maintain variety) and we also do not want to see folks on the repeat loser list.

When we see substantial growth, a poll system isn't out of the question, and frankly sounds like a fun idea.

Ryan

Storm

OK... not entirely sure what you mean by that , but hey...
Anyways, I had an idea. Obviously, there is absolutely no way everyone can get nominated or named, just too many. A thought... continue the TOTM, but also have other mentions perhaps, so more can be noticed. In essence, have one as the pick of the month, and other "honorable mentions"...

Ahah I dont mean anything bad by it :) I like your rig.. Hell I nominate you :)

Fellro

Staff member
Wasn't sure, figured it was in jest all the same...

I see what you mean about slim pickin's on the galleries... I have seen you encourage people to put them up, have to try and figure something out for motivation to get galleries made up... Apparently the TOTM isn't enough... Of course, we have lots of members, but not a lot of participants, like seems to be the case very often, never have figured that out too much why people won't post at all, but join. Some of it is they just want the tech, but not all.

Last edited:

Storm

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts