Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

found a lifted Gen 87-91 F150 for 2.2 G what do you guys think of a swap ?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Image0009.jpg

Image0008.jpg

Image0006.jpg

sorry about the crappy phone pics.

soo i was thinkingof buying it.. before i buy it what sould i look for? Tony helped me allot yesterday of what i should chek if its properly lifted.. i did an visual inspection today andf everything looks very good... it has the dana 44 with a ford 9 inch in the rear.. ( dunno wich gearing tough ) if i diside to get it... can i swap my 5.8 with e4od in her without much problem? do i need to spend allot on extra cash on the motor / tranny swap ? becuase i dont want the carbed 5.0 manual( i think it has the M5od ) in her now.. i want my EFI 5.8 with E4od

and then when finished im going to put the 5.0 manual in my F250 and sell it,

im taking more pictures this afternoon at 6 when the owner can meet me by the truck.. so we can test it etc etc,,, but it does look good lifted.. !.

what else should i chek?

NOTE: i was thinking of doing that with mine eventually so if i found one its more easy... and can i remove the body lift and put 33"s or 35"s ?? becuase it has currently 39"s

Last edited:
so why do you want it?
what's wrong with yours?
do you just want the lift?

if you just want the lift, seems like a lot less work and money to just put a new lift on yours...unless i'm missing something. i've looked at other trucks but it's hard giving something up i know is fairly reliable for something i know hardly nothing about.

also, if you just want the lift, buy the truck, put the lift/tires on yours and sell the other one as stock.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
becuase its cheaper.. if it order a lift kit with tires... i cant swap the lift kit its a F150 mine is a F250 or can i?

The 9" won't work with your tranny.. you need an axle with the speed sensor. So now you're looking at swapping the engine, tranny, and both axles, because the F150 axles are 5-bolt and yours are 6 or 8-bolt.. and that means the wheels on that truck are no good to you either.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'd stick with yours and lift it. You've got an F250, stronger truck. Plus if he's got a lift and those bigass tires you gotta assume it's been abused.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
The 9" won't work with your tranny.. you need an axle with the speed sensor. So now you're looking at swapping the engine, tranny, and both axles, because the F150 axles are 5-bolt and yours are 6 or 8-bolt.. and that means the wheels on that truck are no good to you either.

conaski me and skan were talking.. he just remembered that my truck doesnt use a speed sensor on the rear axle.. it uses a RABS sensor there...

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
got some betterpics... the owner couldt make it today so tomorrow im testing it ;)

interior very clean its got a 4 speed manual.. and can someone explain why does the tach redlines at 5700? isnt it a bit high?
DSC00746.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

under the truck
DSC00747.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
My .02 is if you a lifted truck you are buying some elses lifted problems, cause we all know if you lift them something always happens. LOL

Now that being said....

Get it and keep yours then you have a toy and a good driver! if that is an option, then you could do that stuff to it as you go along.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The lift is homemade for the front. Thats not always bad, but not always good. You are putting your well being into somebody elses hands. Be sure to look it over real good.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
My question is how did a 9 inch find it's way into that truck...i thought they started the 8.8's in 87 when they changed the body style.....39's on a dana 44 TTB is askin for trouble...Tony will argue otherwise but that's alotta tire on something not meant for it....Also......that tranny looks for like an NP435 and the x-case looks like an NP208...might be a possibility that the truck has had a body swap.......that year with a carb?come on.....somethin's up...good lookin rig though.

JR

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah the whole rig seems to be kind of a frankentruck (no offense Travis) if you ask me... I'd like to know the story behind it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Tony's not gonna argue there. Also notice the homemade lift JR. I'm thinking an 80's model truck with a later cab.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Tony's not gonna argue there. Also notice the homemade lift JR. I'm thinking an 80's model truck with a later cab.

Same here.. i think its carbed.. im forgot to get th vin out of the Cab to see if it matches,, but i will ask the owner tomorrow and hopefully he will tell the truth

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Same here.. i think its carbed.. im forgot to get th vin out of the Cab to see if it matches,, but i will ask the owner tomorrow and hopefully he will tell the truth
Don't ask him, TELL HIM! Don't give him room to lie. Just say something like "So I saw that it's got a carbed motor, a 9" rear end, and a trans/tcase combination that wasn't offered for this body style... Did the body get swapped onto an older truck?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
hahahahahah he will be like wth! i cant lie here.. found a real ford man. lol

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
hahahahahahah !!.. can i go steel that manual tranny fit it at my 351? lol!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts