Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Clearing up..

Michigan
Ok guys, Im hoping to have some money by the next couple of weeks and im going to run down and get my maf wiring, (other threads you can tell im gonna have to wait on the PCM). But i need to know EXACTLY and in depth of what i need to get for the maf conversion. I know i need that air box, meter, but what do i need out of the harness? Also do you think i should grab a couple of extra air flow meters just in case one of them are bad? Umm. if anyone has an idea let me know! Thanks..

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Good luck with whatever you do, way outta my league. LOL

Michigan
yea with me looking more and more into it the more nervous i get lol.. Looks like a tough job..

Get the whole engine harness.. and pull out what you need from it later. You want the injector and MAF portions completely intact from the component connector to the computer pins.. best to do this in a controlled environment where you can take your time. If MAF meters are plentiful and cheap, grab several, you can certainly sell what you don't use.

Michigan
How about i bring my truck to you lol! Ummm yea il get everything from the PCM back... I wonder how much they are going to charge me lol. I doubt it will be that much. Yea i know there are at least 3 trucks with MAF, as well as a bunch of T birds with the 302 HO's and MAF. Idk if the meter sizes are different from the two lol

Michigan
That's why I'm going the easy route and getting a pre-made harness w/ instructions. Lol
lol how much that gonna cost?

whats so great about maf versus sd anyway?
MAF actually measures the amount of air entering the motor and uses this in realtime calculations to adjust fuel and timing. Because of this it can better accomadate a wide range of performance upgrades and even run a larger motor. SD is programmed from the factory for a specific engine, it has no way to know how much air is actually entering a motor so it uses tables generated for the motor by the factory to adjust fuel and spark with input from the sensors. It too has some room for performance mods but you simply can't go as far before the motors requirements exceed the factory presets. The other thing is that tuners are now available for the most common MAF computers typically found in the 5.0 Mustangs as well as some of the truck and other MAF car engines, allowing access to all factory settings and tables. So it's relatively easy to double or tripple the power output of one of these motors and make it run as well as a factory motor, both interms of drivability and relative emissions.

On the show trucks they took a 1994 Lightning and converted it to MAF... my friend has a 1993 Lightning and claims its MAF..

So is my friends a SD or MAF?? He didnt change it either.

my friend has a 1993 Lightning and claims its MAF..

So is my friends a SD or MAF?? He didnt change it either.
Gen 1 Lightnings were SD fom the factory. Is he the original owner? A MAF meter is pretty obvious, all you got to do is look.

blue goose, im glad i could get your question answered.
conanski, thanks for the detailed response. that makes a lot of sense. so basically my stock engine wouldn't really see much benefit from this mod. what do you think about the gains that 95bronk will see with his engine?

Michigan
SD's wont allow a piston slapper cam like what i like lol! jk I want to do mods... I hate stock trucks and i always find some way to do something different to them. But again i want to port, put bigger injectors in, nice fuel rail, Good cam, bigger throttle body, anything really. And with the SD the computer would hate me for sure lol.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
so basically my stock engine wouldn't really see much benefit from this mod. what do you think about the gains that 95bronk will see with his engine?

Curious to see the answer to this, too. I don't own an SD truck, but my brother's got a '92 Bronco with a stock 351. I don't think he's interested in fixing anything that works until he fixes all the crap that doesn't, but he and I were talking about it one time, and I didn't really know what to tell him.

Michigan
what do you think about the gains that 95bronk will see with his engine?
Good question. I heard with the MAF it runs smoother... I dont know tho. With the MAF im just looking to get that foundation so i can do future mods as i stated in my last response. Im looking for a FAST take off, and for the truck to pull through all the gears without lag weather it be at the drag strip, sand dragracing, or mud bogging.

so basically my stock engine wouldn't really see much benefit from this mod. ?
The SEFI MAF conversion will deliver a few real benefits besides providing a foundation to build power. Because it fires the injectors sequentially it will deliver slightly better emissions and throttle response, and the annoying high cold start idle routine these truck go through is NOT part of the mustang programming. Cold start idle is about 1000rpm and it quickly drops back to about 750rpm after only 10 seconds maybe.. can't remember exactly. I'm so used to it now I don't notice it anymore.

what do you think about the gains that 95bronk will see with his engine?
Again.. simply changing to this system will not produce any big power gains, it's all about the things you add after installing it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts