Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

strange engine "missfire" or not?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
at idle it idles smooth and normal driving drives pretty smooth,, but at WOT..
it kind of shakes like it has 1 cylinder missfire :S pretty strange.. what would cuase this?
clogged injectors? that doesnt give enough fuel at WOT?

it did this with the old plugs.. thats why i changed the plugs..but it does it when it wants.. not always..

Last edited:

andym

Real men are fanatics
Could be fuel pressure, either from a dying pump or a clogged filter.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Check fuel PSI at WOT under load, what engine is it? There have been some issues with the fuel PSI regulators.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
He has a 351W.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
regulator and fuel filter and fuel pump is under 5K miles old.. maybe filter is clogged how to chek if its clogged?

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
How's the plug wires? You did the plugs, how about wires? They will cause trouble the same way sometimes.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
plug wires is new also.. everything was changed on this truck when i got it from my dad september 2007 cap rotor wires.. coil.. etc etc

Have you done a compression check lately?

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
How close are the 7/8 plug wires? Are they separated as much as they can be? I always hear about that being an issue.. figured I'd try and cover the bases.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
What kind of plugs are you running?

autolite coppers gapped at 0.50

i dont think its the plugs tough.. becuase when i finished changing theplugs the other day.. it ran fine.. so tomorrow im going to rechek and clean every wire 1 by 1 for good connections

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I had problems with several auto light plugs > I know they r supposed to make Fords plugs but I never had problem with Motorcraft coppers. The plug routing is another biggie .

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
well isnt plug wires.. i cheked all of them today.. cleaned them.. rechek them... onl thing that is on my mind is a bad injector.. .. at @ conaski
compression chek:

dont have the tool nor the nohow to do it:S

a bad piston could cuase this vibration?

NOTE: not low on power..

Last edited:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
well isnt plug wires.. i cheked all of them today.. cleaned them.. rechek them... onl thing that is on my mind is a bad injector.. .. at @ conaski
compression chek:

dont have the tool nor the nohow to do it:S

a bad piston could cuase this vibration?

NOTE: not low on power..

If you had low compression it would be lacking power and running rough at idle. What do you run for a distributor in the truck stock?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts