Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hmmm what to do..

Michigan
Hey all, I lost my sisters keys to her exploder... She doesnt have a spare set and i was wondering... How can i get the ignition out of there without the keys? I know theres that push pin at the bottom but you need the keys to turn it to the run position.. Anyone got any ideas? Take a lock cylinder out of the door maby?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I think I once read somewhere that on a Ford, the door locks use half the cuts on the key, and the ignition uses the other half...so you can't get a working key cut from just one.

*Dad had an ignition lock cylinder fail on him a couple years back; wouldn't turn with any of the keys we had to that car. Called AAA, they sent a locksmith who came, drilled out the cylinder, and replaced it with one that was set to use the same key. Cost him $50, IIRC.

Michigan
For real? hmmm... How would you go about drilling it out? I bet it would be cheaper just to do that and buy a whole new tumbler because she has the remote for it to unlock the doors.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
If it's new enough, a Ford dealer can give you a new key by vin number.

Michigan
Nope this is a 96 with no chip in it. 98 is the cut off..

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I second what tony said , My Mom had hers done like that from a Chebbie dealer.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Lock smith is the ticket . You could Try to drill out the cylinder and pop it out . But other than seeing stolen one done that way I never did it my self. Hope you get r done

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I think there's probably a great story behind the line, ".....I lost my sister's keys".........

'fess up!

I have a complete set of house/car/mailbox etc keys at the bottom of one of the lakes here - compliments of my youngest son and some friends. They were looking at a 30 mile hike back home until they managed to hitch a ride for most of it.

Michigan
I think there's probably a great story behind the line
Well not really a hallarious story... but my moms car was in the garage, and my buddy and i was parked in the driveway talkin and my sisters explorer was the only one that was clear, so she grabbed the keys to it and said that she was going to walmart. Well im like why dont u take your car, and she said YOUR IN THE WAY so i said we will move, well we did and i got back to my conversation and trying to remember what i came home for..

Well she threw me the keys and i thought nothing at all of it, so i was sitting by my truck and i put them on the rear bumper. Well she left and i had to go back down to work on some crap, all that was on my mind was remembering PB blaster lol. Well i got that, hopped in my truck, backed slowly down the driveway and slowly took off because i didnt wanna throw rocks or kick up dirt on my buddys mustang.

After i went down the road a little bit slowly and turned the corner and who knows from there. A locksmith was just here and she has two keys now. I gotta program a remote for her, the owners manual doesnt say how, it just says take to the dealer but my dads owners manual shows the steps on how to program. My trucks owners manual might, but i doubt it. So im waiting for my dad to get home so i can do that..

Be glad you don't have "pats" on that. Ford charges around $80 a key for a new one. You can buy the blanks off evilbay, have a key place cut them, and program them yourself.....but only if you have two original "pats" keys. Otherwise you are stuck with fords prices.

I think you just need one "pats" key to program the remotes.

Michigan
Yea let me ask if i can post some up, its very nice!

Michigan
Heres his Mustang

l_33c9491392cef1ad876e0801c9ebe7fe.jpg

l_f35bcfe1fc6d29b08180a2670352d38d.jpg

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
That is a nice lookin' stang. Never been a big fan of those body kits (I think it'd look better with a different hood), but the mild mods/v8/manual does it for me. :)

Michigan
Dayuuum Mike, has there ever been a junkie vehicle shadow your driveway. You just keep posting pictures of neat vehicles one after another after another and so on...
haha a couple of my sisters friends cars.. couple jeeps as well haha if my other buddy saw that he would kill me! lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts