Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Engine Project

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Alright a budyd of mine got his hands on a 351 W HO Marine engine that he's gonna be throwing in his 92 Baby Blue Ford on 3/4 tons......Coincidentally the buddy that we converted from Cheverolet to Ford wants to ditch his 300-6 for a V-8......I tried to talk him out of it but he won't listen...it's my fault he wants to compete with me lol.Anyways the V-8 we're going to build is going to be a 67 289 HO block with E7TE heads and Complete speed density fuel injection.....never seen it done so we're gonna do it.....Problem is how do I look for a cam for this thing?The truck is a 90 with speed density and obviously the block is gonna be alot older......is there anyway to get a cam for it without converting the block to roller AND have it be SD compatible?Or should I find an SD cam that looks good and find the same grind specs in a Non roller cam?I'll be posting on this topic off and on but right now the cam is buggin me..Thanks.Let the record also show I tried to talk him into building up a 300-6...and I had him sold till this happened.....

JR

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Sounds like a cool project. I'm sure conaski with chime in on the SD cam issue.. You gotta make that thing rev to the sky. ;)

This doesn't sound like much of a stretch at all really.. you couldn't tell a 289 from a 302 with the naked eye, the only difference in them is the slightly shorter stroke..which you can't see from the outside. A flat tappet cam for a 302 will also fit a 289, and there are lots of those to pick from. The Comp cams 31-255-5 is a good SD EFI compatable truck cam, the major cam specs that make it SD compatable is 114deg LSA and intake duration that is under 215 degrees at 50 thou. This cam also has a short advertised duration which helps build low rpm TQ... pretty much a requirement for a small V8 in a heavy truck unless you plan to gear the hell out of it and use the top of the tach regularly. smilieFordlogo

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I'll be watching . I have 90% of parts to put mine together.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts