Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Take Off Units

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Can anybody school this dummy on PTO's? What gear drives the PTO in the transmission? Reason I'm asking........

The 48 F6 that I'm rebuilding has a crash box tranny with the Chelsea PTO to drive the pump for the hoist.

The 52 F6 parts truck has a 4 spd SYN trans that I'd really like to swap into the 48. 1st and Rev are spur gears in this trans.

I'm of the opinion that PTO's come in both straight cut and bevel gears. Do I need to find a bevel cut PTO to install with the 4SYN?

Thanks
Tim

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I am not an expert by no means but have worked with a few pto's, the gears on the pto and tranny do need to match, the gear that drives the pto is splined right to the input shaft and turns all the time. And don't forget some pto's must be shimmed as not to make too much noise when there on. Thats as much as I can tell you hope it helps alittle.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thank you sir! Every bit of info helps. I haven't popped the covers cause I'm still moving these around, but will soon be into them ........ in the meantime I'm adding to the database. I appreciate your input!

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Thank you sir! Every bit of info helps. I haven't popped the covers cause I'm still moving these around, but will soon be into them ........ in the meantime I'm adding to the database. I appreciate your input!

Anytime i can be of help.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts