Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

OK, let the BSing begin.......fuel mileage

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I know its kind of early yet, but I am really interested in what the new 6.4 is getting fuel mileage wise.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
well, honestly the new truck will have lower mileage than the the 6.0 due to the emissions setup. regenerations of the dpf will use extra fuel everytime they are done.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
well, honestly the new truck will have lower mileage than the the 6.0 due to the emissions setup. regenerations of the dpf will use extra fuel everytime they are done.

Nothing like the EPA getting involved and doing what is right.... ya right!!!

Create more legislation and require the use of EGR's, DPF's and lower sufur diesel fuel.... all so we can get less mpg and use more fuel!!!!

I should have become a legislator.... I have to be smarter than they are and I did not go to law school!!!!

:headbang:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
yes, but atleast they are thinking about the future. theres nothing wrong with the systems the epa mandates whether its cats, egrs, or dpfs. you run these trucks properly you should have minimal issues. beach, your religious about maintainence, you have many issues?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
yes, but atleast they are thinking about the future. theres nothing wrong with the systems the epa mandates whether its cats, egrs, or dpfs. you run these trucks properly you should have minimal issues. beach, your religious about maintainence, you have many issues?

No issues besides the few common ones that reflashing cures...

1) Change oil & filter every 5,000 miles (Motorcraft oil filter).

2) Change fuel filters every 15,000 miles (Racor made buy from Int'l dealer).

3) Change air filter every 30,000 - 40,000 miles (Motorcraft brand).

4) Change/flush tranny fluid every 25,000 miles & new filter (Mercon SP fluid).

5) Flushed cooling system at 50,000 miles with distilled water and re-filled with Ford Premium Gold Coolant - will do again at 110,000 miles. Added aftermarket coolant filter for better protection against abbrasive sand & grit in system from when manufactured.

6) Tires rotated every 5,000 - 10,000 (When I feel like it).

7) PCM reflashed - as needed by local dealer (will get new one this week).
------------------------

I think that with the greater emphasis on EPA mandates, the growing expense of diesel trucks, that my 6.0L motor may be worth more money than I think as the years go on. There is less to actually go wrong with my motor as it does not have ther DPF, dual turbos and other electronic goodies... but hey... I'm not selling my 6.0L Excursion anytime soon.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

BTH I agree whole heartedly, but after many lengthy discussions, you cannot replace energy. If anyone had a real true idea of how much unregulated polution is going into the air to reduce emissions (yes their is a sector that is still unregulated) you have effectively doubled consumption, and also have just about broke even with the (it is still on the negative side, compaired to just getting better fuel mileage, rather than reducing emissions) emissions. We would have given up and found a way to get 25-30 mpg on Bio, which is renewable. I just hate seeing good money wasted that doesn't address the real problem. You cannot replace a energy source, that is just how it works.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
yeah i know ryan, i wish we would use more bio untill it comes in the shop. bio fuels are the future as soon as we can get people in washington to realize that. if i am not mistaken, no emmisions from bio, so no more pollution equipment.

BTH I agree whole heartedly, but after many lengthy discussions, you cannot replace energy. If anyone had a real true idea of how much unregulated polution is going into the air to reduce emissions (yes their is a sector that is still unregulated) you have effectively doubled consumption, and also have just about broke even with the (it is still on the negative side, compaired to just getting better fuel mileage, rather than reducing emissions) emissions. We would have given up and found a way to get 25-30 mpg on Bio, which is renewable. I just hate seeing good money wasted that doesn't address the real problem. You cannot replace a energy source, that is just how it works.

I know this is an old thread but I just read it.... I like the way you think. Probably the smartest thing I have read in a while regarding emissions/fuel economy. They (the collective government agencies) have taken a superior engine platform in terms of the efficiency in conversion of the chemical energy in the fuel to mechanical energy and put a handicap on it. Then add the extra refining cost of ULSD and we begin to make it economically useless to use. Of course the rest of the world does not have these rules to deal with so we end up with a self imposed handicap. Nice. Just some Saturday morning commentary. Guess I'll get to work now. BTW How do you like your 6.4 vs the 6.0?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I absolutly love the 6.4. Don't know if it is the 4.10/and duals or the 6.4 but its night and day difference pulling my 11K toy hauler. Mileage sucks, but mileage is not why I got it.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Hey fellas, good to see you too.

I averaged 13.3 with a average speed of 70 MPH.
I have been averaging 12 or a tad under at 75.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I don't know if the truck is finally learning my driving habits but it does seem to be regening much less than when I was taking long trips with it prior to 15k miles. I am right at 18k on it now.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I don't know if the truck is finally learning my driving habits but it does seem to be regening much less than when I was taking long trips with it prior to 15k miles. I am right at 18k on it now.
We've been noticing that the trucks learn the drivers, not the other way around.

Ford Truck Articles