Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

88 Mus GT got cats finally

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
After having no cats on my stang for 4 years. I finally put some on today. I have inspection in April and since I no longer work at my old job, its not so easy to get an inspection sticker. I dont think my old boss with do it. He might but id rather not ask. Here is how I did it. I have BBK long tubes, and a bbk x pipe. I got an old long tube h pipe at a swap meet for 30 bucks, and figured that I could add some cats in it. While I keep all my stock parts unless its something you would throw out, I had my stock catted h pipe that was cut into peices. Well I put the h pipe from the swap meet ontop of the stock back half of the stangs orig h pipe and wouldnt ya know its like the same. So im like im a use that caus its already got 2 cats on it, even if car had 4 i think 2 will do it. Ok here is the setup. I used the socket flanges from my moms old cats(96 grand marquis), then 2 2.25 couplers, then the stock h pipe back to the cat back. Welded it up, not the nicist looking but doesnt leak air. And went for a drive, super quiet and lost some power.
Here are some pics.

Moms cats with the socket flanges cut off.
1996GrandMarquiscats.jpg

My BBK X pipe and the 30 buck H pipe and the 1st set of cats from stang.
1988MustangBBKXpipe-hpipe-origcats.jpg

Here are the headers and the front half of the catted H pipe. Yea I know washers look goofy, but header studs didnt have enough thread on them, and this is just for inspection so it was all I had lol.
1988Mustangcat-hsection.jpg

Here is the cats and the cat-back. Cats got like 90-100K on them.
1988MustangCat-back.jpg

Good view of everything.
1988Mustangheaders-hpipe-cat-back.jpg

Last edited:
Does the car feel any different?

I thought I was the only one with a modifiable exhuast to get through inspection. Mine is clamped together though, so easy to change around.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea it doesnt pull as hard as it did with the 2.5 uncatted x pipe. This catted h is 2.25. My truck one is super easy to put my cat on. I think you have seen that tho. Yea I just have 4 nuts 2 undo and the cats come off and the x goes back on. It sucks, car is super quiet like when I 1st got it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I thought I was the only one with a modifiable exhuast to get through inspection. Mine is clamped together though, so easy to change around.

Friend of mine welded up his exhaust so he can swap back and forth between barely legal mufflers and illegal glasspacks in no time in a parking lot (assuming it's cool, of course).

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I tend to change exhaust out on my stang and truck every once in a while, when I pic up some headers, mufflers and that sort of stuff, stang has had shorties, 2 sets of long tubes, straight pipe, mac pro chamber, x pipe, now cats. The only thing that hasnt changed is the cat-back, I cant seem to find some flowmasters cheap enough. Magnaflows are too quiet, but are SS and look good even if you cant see em. on the car for like 5-6 years and are still shiny from the day I put them on.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep...welded flanges on the ends of the mufflers/glasspacks, so that you can undo a few bolts on the front and rear, and swap them, without having to monkey around with the tailpipes (rear-exit true duals) or the cats.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea, I like exhausts, just wait till my moms grans marquis exhaust rotts out, stock cat back 150K. I donno y it aint done yet lol. She dont wash it, oil changes always late, I dont look at the sticker, i never drive it. When it snows and salt is all over the road, i figured that it be rotted by now. But nope. Oh well. It will be getting true dual flowmaster. She will be like its still broken. Haha

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Went to inspection today. Failed, emissions just a little too high. Here are the readings. NOx standard 1378 reading 1484, HC standard 180 reading 292. CO% standard 1.01 reading .70. So I got my timing at 14* or 15*. Im going to put it back to the stock 10 then retry. Sadly my truck passed with no emissions stuff just the cat, and the stang still has all the emissions stuff and failed. Oh well. Ill go back tomorrow morning.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Welded in my moms old cat on the left side, went back this mornin at 7am and passed with 14* timing. YES. Cats are now off again lol.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts