Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Flash For 6.0L (No Longer Injector Buzzing)??

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
For our resident techs (or anyone else that might know)....

I have now heard that the "new-new" injector flash is now available and is the latest to replace the "injector buzzing" flash that came out a bout 4 weeks ago.

Is this true and what is the inside "scoop" on it?

I have heard that Int'l uses the injector flash and likes to clear the oil from the injectors this way... and due to Ford customers not likeing the sound, they now have developed some form of "inductive heating" system to "pre-heat the injector" beforr start-up?

Can you guys, or anyone, find out the pros & cons to both flashes and the real reasons to why the latest flash only after 4 weeks?

Curious why Int'l like one method and Ford now wants to do something different?

Please advise pro's and cons to each flash and please get beyond (for our sake) "this is just what Ford states" when you speak to your regional service techs and the "hot-line".

Thanks in advance... "inquiry minds want to know"....

Jeff

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Either flash is fine for what its intended to do. The "buzz" flash does its job very well. The only downside to it was the noise. The new flash pulses current into the injector coil, that makes heat at the interface between the spool valve and the head. This heat makes the oil in the valve more "liquid" and less likely to cause stiction. In the testing, they used vehicles with real life cold start issues. In each, they tried both flashes at cold temps in Michigan. Both performed well, but the "silent" one did better. I've only had the opportunity to do one "silent" flash, but there was no cold start issue after. I have done numerous "buzz" flashes for cold start misfires. Most can be repaired with the flash only. If you havent had the "06e17-05e15" reflashes done, they are also included. As a result, the tech has to be aware of "completing the flash", or driveability issues can result.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Hamburger/Cheeseburger. One thing I will add is unlike some of the "grasping at straws" flashes of previous years, this one addresses and corrects a specific problem. Any 6.0 owner that does not currently have either of these flash version. I will tell you unless its not completed as vloney has reffered to it does way more good than harm. It will make the truck cold start easier, and increase the life of the injectors, end of story.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Either flash is fine for what its intended to do. The "buzz" flash does its job very well. The only downside to it was the noise. The new flash pulses current into the injector coil, that makes heat at the interface between the spool valve and the head. This heat makes the oil in the valve more "liquid" and less likely to cause stiction. In the testing, they used vehicles with real life cold start issues. In each, they tried both flashes at cold temps in Michigan. Both performed well, but the "silent" one did better. I've only had the opportunity to do one "silent" flash, but there was no cold start issue after. I have done numerous "buzz" flashes for cold start misfires. Most can be repaired with the flash only. If you havent had the "06e17-05e15" reflashes done, they are also included. As a result, the tech has to be aware of "completing the flash", or driveability issues can result.

Thanks Vince... I knew you would know the answer.

Does the "injector heat up" happen when I turn the key for the glow plugs to warm up? Do the injectors stay heated for a period of time, or once it is started no need for? Does this cause or draw a lot of extra amps or power from the batteries?

I currently I have the "buzz" injector flash and my diesel tech at the dealer told me to just stop in and he would do it for nothing (about 20 minutes) and I would be set to go.

Do I just need the FICM flashed, or do I need the PCM as well... and what about the TCM. Not sure if all three are needed... or will the computer just advice based upon the computer reading my PCM calibration level.

What are the values or the final procedure I need to make sure he checks for if not letting it idle for 5 minutes after doing?

As always.. thanks.

Jeff

blacksnapon

Staff member
It sends a pulse to the injector coils when you turn the key on. When you get the flash, the IDS will select whether or not the ficm,tcm, and pcm need updating. Something else to be aware of, whether or not the dealer has their software updated to the right level. The IDS is updated over the internet, or by cd. The pids to be aware of is vgtlrn (yes) and vgtle at least (5)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
It sends a pulse to the injector coils when you turn the key on. When you get the flash, the IDS will select whether or not the ficm,tcm, and pcm need updating. Something else to be aware of, whether or not the dealer has their software updated to the right level. The IDS is updated over the internet, or by cd. The pids to be aware of is vgtlrn (yes) and vgtle at least (5)

Thanks... I know my dealer gets their updates each night when the plug in and the CD comes later as a back-up since the internet updates are quicker than waiting for the CD's.

Thanks for the pid values I should be aware of or ask about.

Have a good week.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
New Flash & PDF File Review (Inductive Heating of Injectors - Improves Cold Starts)

Here is a link that discusses the new flash and "inductive heating" of the injectors for the 6.0L motor.

I believe that Ford has really researched, tested and is trying to get the word out better than any other PCM/FICM update perviously released. The fact that they produced a PDF file is impressive (for me at least). I for one, am very annoyed with the "buzz" of the latest old flash and will get this new one later this week. I have never had a cold starting issue and run 5W-40 synthetic just for this reason... but there is no reason not to get the "inductive heating" of the injector reflash in my opinion.

The only issue would be are for those running aftermarket tuners and that by getting this flash, then unloading it and installing an aftermarket flash... I would think that you would loose the benefit of this flash and may contribute to rough cold starts and shorter injector life???? Cursious of tuner companies can read Ford's code and incorporate it into their own? Personally, I do not care as I do not use a tuner... but others maywant to consider or evaluate this issue before buying or installing an aftermarket tuner???

What a great explanation and PDF file of the new-new flash....

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/2003f250cc/diesel_talk_live_ih_reflash.pdf

I'm sold...

Jeff

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts