Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

It's pretty much confirmed..

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I've pretty much confirmed why my truck feels like it's got more oomph than a truck 302 with longtubes should have..

First, a long while ago I ran into the guy that did the semi-resto on my truck at the pumps. Not the guy that sold it to me, but the guy who sold it to the guy that sold it to me. Lol. He had no reason to lie, and he told me the truck had a longblock 302 out of an 88 GT mustang. Now I was still semi-doubtful because no ones given me a way to check it out for real (anybody know how?). But then today a guy came in and I knew him from a shop around town (has a sliiiick SS Nova) and I got talking cars and when I mentioned my truck, he started asking about it. Then he came to realize it was the truck he put a mustang engine in with the guy I met at the pumps, lol.

I'm stoked, AFAIK '88 is the year that they came with forged TRW's stock. :D

Last edited:
I'm pretty ecstatic, lol. But still want a way to know for sure, 100%.
A '90 truck would not have a roller motor in it, so to determine if you do or not pull off the driver's side valve cover, unbolt a rocker and pull out a pushrod. If it's 6.5" long you have a roller motor, if it's 6.9" it's a flat tappet motor. You could go 1 step further if you have a dial indicator and measure the cam lift, 0.270" lift at the tip of the pushrod or something close to that confirms it's a HO.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts