Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Vaccum leak on the 4.blow

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
The ranger is running a really high idle, and stumbles until warmed up. It literally sounds like its about to blow a head gasket one second, then the RPMs drop so low it nearly dies the next. It sound to me like there is a vacumm leak that is causing the fluctuations...
Unfortunantly my friend has misplaced the code reader so until that is found im working on speculation...

I have never really gotten involved with this truck much because i dont like it (i have no tolorance for 2wd trucks, sorry guys) so therfore i dont know much at all about the quirks of the 4.blow engine.

All that being said, what are common causes of vacumm pressure leaks on these engines?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You mention a code reader...is it throwing a CEL?

I had to replace a piece of the hose to the evap canister on mine last summer, it ran OK but was popping the light and the hose was pretty weather-checked.

Can't remember for sure, but I kind of think I've heard of a few people having issues with the intake manifold gaskets on those engines.

*Idle issues could also be caused by the IAC, TPS, or a handful of other electronic components- does it have any other symptoms?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Yes its throwing up a CEL ..it was coming on and off intermitantly and i figured it was a loose sensor, but now its on constant and the engine performance has deteriorated.

No other symptoms that i can think of other then the high idle and the stumbling after starting...i will be listening/feeling for more on the way home today and let you know.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts