Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

why is my truck shifting harder? after ECU swap.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
its been diong it since i changed the ecu.. i tought it might go away but it didnt.. its not shifting neck snappping hard.. just when you punch it and changed to second it spin the tires and the speedo jumps 5 mph.. its like a super light shift kit

and driving normal is a little bit harder to its not the lazy shift im used to .. just more crisp :)
i like it :D

im just worried maybe its damegin my tranny?
tranny fluid level is ok btw..

the ecu i used was from a E-250 351w e4od ( dont know wich year was it )

i will make a vid tomorrow

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
haha i dont know if its newer or older... but does the ECU control the slippage? maybe on the E 250 that year its less.. or i dunno

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
haha i dont know if its newer or older... but does the ECU control the slippage? maybe on the E 250 that year its less.. or i dunno
Dunno... I know that we drive a 97ish E350 at work with an E4OD and the shifts are SOO smooth it scares me... I know smooth shifts aren't very healthy for the trans... You can almost not even feel the thing shift.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
it might be going into fail safe mode. Does it pull any codes?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
nope.. no codes.. and truck is running gr8 !.. ( except for code 41 ) working on it now..

wait till tomorrow i will get a vid up..

i think its normal.. because the do sell an electronic improver kit.. so maybe this ECU has firmer shifts that the truck's ECU

ohh and i was told it was from an 1987-1991, E-250 ambulance

ohh and i was told it was from an 1987-1991, E-250 ambulance

Since an ambulance is expected to be in haul-ass mode at all times to get to the emergancy and what not, maybe the computer is programmed a bit more for performance and less for comfort to accomodate the expected driving style.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Also called 'limp mode'.

If that was the case, the trans wouldn't go past 2nd. And if that were the case I think he'd know it :rofl:

yea it does. Mine went into limp mode at 75 mph. Then down shifted, to first and went back up. I slowed down for a stoplight.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
yea it does. Mine went into limp mode at 75 mph. Then down shifted, to first and went back up. I slowed down for a stoplight.
If your trans went past 2nd gear, you weren't in limp mode... Limp mode limits your trans to 2nd and reverse gears, and increases line pressure, making the shifts incredibly jarring. It does this to try and prevent damage to the transmission in the event of a failure so you can 'limp' home.

How do I know? Once I forgot to replace the dome light fuse after working on the interior of my truck... Apparently the dome light fuse also controls some of the trans functions and it immediately went into limp mode... Did EXACTLY as I just described... Don't believe me? Google it.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
yes it was in limp mode. How do i know. because it shifted really freaking hard, My o/d flashed on and off. It was cold, i had no heater. So i kept on trucking.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I'm with eco on this one, likely just a differently programmed ecm. Hopefully.

the #s on the ecm were the same ?-I know that different #s do make a difference
94-95 vans are different-was told #s must match or you will have problems-but you sound like it is better??

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
im with eco also..

and..
nope they arent the same codes.. they are completly different codes..

but i know 100% shure they are for the same engine / trans combo

but its just a temporary fix.. i will send the stock ecu for rebuild soon.. any one where they do that?

Heavy duty trucks tend to shift their transmissions harder, because they have more weight to hump around. This is reflected in the code of the EEC. You'll also find that the timing curve in those EEC's are a little more aggressive as well.

So yeah, that's pretty much why your truck shifts harder now.

Assuming your engine is in good shape, you should also get about a mile per gallon better than you used to, everything else being equal.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
jep.. thats corect.. i used to get 7.9 mpg.. nomather how i drive.. now im getting 9 mpg.. no mather how i drive.. going to be better soon..

o2 sensor is bad..

i will give you guys the code of the eec.. lemme chek it wait..

EDIT:
here yah go this is the code of the ECU of the van
program code : was not found on the ECU

other code:
E9TF12A650P1B

and the one strock from the truck: HAHA this is funny it has 2007 written on it somewhere.. can they tell the future? thats the year that it goes bad? becuase they were certainly right!

program code is: E0D

other code:
E9AF14A624AA

Last edited:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
well, I got banned for a few days from the other site...(not a great loss) then I took a vacation...have some pics up of the Bahamas when i get a sec......

JR

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts