Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I'm a sucker...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Got a guy up to look at that 59 250 4x4 I've been so hot to trot about. Very very very disappointed. Body is straight as an arrow, no rust...but underneath has more rust than I'm comfortable with...also has sections of frame rail rusted through. I was told it had a 'slight headlight wiring problem'...turns out it's completely missing the headlights, and its a rats nest of wires behind the grille...and that's causing electrical issues everywhere. The 300 fires up and idles just fine, doesn't really want to go any higher in rpm though...my guy also said the trans sounded/felt like an unsynchro'd bag of marbles. It was advertised as a driver, and I could probably drive it on to a trailer, but not much else. I see about a $1000 truck here, total investment. Guy wants $2k and then it'll cost me a grand to get it down here. Be a lot easier if I didn't buy in to the hype and a couple body pics, put a deposit on it for the guy to hold it until mid-may, and just got an unbiased 3rd party to take a look this weekend. I reckon I'll just cut my losses.

image259.jpg

image260.jpg

image261.jpg

image262.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That bites. Will the 3rd party kick the seller for you ?:nutkick:

My own fault...pulled the trigger, didn't follow my own buying rules, and I got burned. Like I said, if I could get it here for a grand, I'd still do it...I just know that won't happen.

Crappy Ben. Reminds me I need to get out and check that '63 F100 on the next property. May be the same problem with the frame and wiring :(

Yeah, I was pretty excited about it...59 250 4x4's are my unicorn...and looks like they will continue to be.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Looks like a rusted through spot on one of the frame rails?

I have always liked the looks of the 58, 59 4WD's, also.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...there was plenty of rust through. This is my #2 truck of all time (behind a lariat 79 350 sc 4x4)...and I'm just disappointed. Looks like a decent enough platform, just not the kind of project I'm currently looking for.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
They don't show up often. Make him an offer. .

I'm with Mark....just tell him like you told us and make him an offer. Sorry to hear though.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dang the body on that truck looks in decent shape to bad the frame is of the Swiss variety.

No kidding...and missing bright work...and the electrical issues. I could have gotten over the rust...simple enough fix...but the electrical, ehhhh. You all know by now that I'd burn half of NC down if I had to deal with all that. And that trim is no cheap order either. I've been collecting some of the trim, and I already have a few hundred in just a couple badges.

That blows Benny... You'll find one eventually.

I always say the rig picks you, you don't pick the rig. If it was meant to be, it'll happen.

They don't show up often. Make him an offer. .

I'd throw a grand at him, but nothing else.

Fellro

Staff member
Would a later frame work under it? You would have a better chance that way, set the body onto another frame. I agree though, definitely cuts the price when the frame rail is hosed like that. The bad part is surely the seller knew how bad it was.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Suck it up, make him an offer....

Planning on it bossman

Would a later frame work under it? You would have a better chance that way, set the body onto another frame. I agree though, definitely cuts the price when the frame rail is hosed like that. The bad part is surely the seller knew how bad it was.

It would work pretty easily. Actually had a deal locally for a 59 on a 67 250 chassis, put some cash down on that one too...but decided it wasn't 'true'. You know me, I like originality...and that's the main reason I targeted this truck (in the general sense), 59 was the first year of factory 4x4...and of course you can't settle for a F100...haha.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was thinking USD...but whatever you think will work.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The more I think about this, Ben... Gosh the body on that has to be worth a grand by itself. The only problem that presents itself is garage space. Who wants to combine 3 donor trucks and have 3 parts trucks sitting around?

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The more I think about this, Ben... Gosh the body on that has to be worth a grand by itself. The only problem that presents itself is garage space. Who wants to combine 3 donor trucks and have 3 parts trucks sitting around?

Ryan

Alotta truth to that. And to be quite honest, as difficult as it is to come across these things, there's still not a huge market for them, so prices are relatively low. I'm just not seeing the value there as much as I did. I could easily see 6-8k going in to it, and still not having one as good looking as one that I purchased for 3500.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts