Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

thinking about 351 to 460 a swap... give me an idea how much and if its worth it?..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
since i have 2 460's lying around.. i might rebuild one.. and put it in my truck
CARBED!
with something like a
crane solid roller 232/240 .630 lift CAM
ported heads
and headers

i have an E4od.. if it does even bolt up to the 460 i will need an tranny controller wich is about 700 $..

what else should i know?

my inspiration right here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMRhJFR_TrU#A7Q5P4zV_HY

or just rebuild the 351i have right now?

cam
headers
1.7 rockers

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It wont fit the 460. You will need a tranny with the large bellhousing bolt pattern. May I suggest the c-6? ;)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It wont fit the 460. You will need a tranny with the large bellhousing bolt pattern. May I suggest the c-6? ;)
smiliewhathesaid

The small blocks have a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the big blocks, so it won't bolt up. If you wanna go with a 460 then get a C6. I know in aruba you don't have a lot of highways (if any?) so there's really no reason for having overdrive in my opinion, and the c6 is much more stout tranny.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
smiliegitrdone

Especially if you have them laying around. Good thing to learn on, and even if you can't put it in right away you can always have it waiting 'til you get the adequate funds.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
get a c6, bolt up a aftermarket Over drive end unit and be done

Or you can do what a guy did on the other site. 460 and a np435...converted from auto to a manaul. its a 4speed with a granny first.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well hell if he's gonna swap trannies around he should just skip all the way to a ZF 5-speed. That's what I'd do :D

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ohh yeah hell yeah!! ZF!!! lol... think its cheaper to rebuild the 351w tough.. in my case.. you guys have junkjards etc etc.. where you can find parts.. i dont..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Thats right. I keep forgetting you live on Mars... :p

hahah PIG!

yeah becuase dont need somany parts.. to do a 351 that i already have and running gr8

new cam

rockers

headers

What junk yard parts would you want to use for rebuilding a 460 anyways?

Surely you can come up with a C6 for a decent price.

With projects like this you need to make your budget stretch. Thge last thing you want to do is cut corners due to $$$$ then end up redoing the job later and spending even more than it would have cost to do it right the first time.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Exactly. It took a few years to get my truck the way I wanted it. I made a plan and stuck to it. It was hard but I didn't allow myself any short cuts.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
yeah about the budget im going to get a little money soon about 3.5g ( selling our dj equipment )

i wanna make my truck a cool truck.. i dont wanna spend it all on the engine.. and still have the crappy suspension

so first things are.. lift kit.. cool rims.. tires

then engine

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
What junk yard parts would you want to use for rebuilding a 460 anyways?

Everything if you're cheap... er... frugal. If you have to overbore the engine to clean things up then obviously one would need oversized pistons and rings, but other than that rods, cranks, lifters, rockers all can be recycled, though not always from the engine you have sitting on your engine stand. Mix and match!

If you're building for serious power, or a racing application, then no, shiny new parts are the way to go. Stronger, lighter, et al, and can be machined to tighter tolerances than used, recycled, cheaper junkyard parts.

Once in a while you get lucky and take home a gooey junkyard engine full of eagle rods with a scat crank :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts