Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tech: License plate lights

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
As some of you may know a few weeks back i got pulled over and notified that i need to replace my license plate lights. A few years back they went out and stopped functioning. And then eventually fell out.

Well since i got pulled over, and i was heading off to another state for college. I figured it would be a good idea to replace them.
My dad picked them up for me on his way home for work. About 6 bucks. It looks like a light you would normally see on a trailer.
One wire hook up. The mounting is the ground and theres a positive wire to hook up.
I had to drill holes in my bumper to mount it up. But since the wire leads from the truck didn't have a color code for the wires. and it had a plug. I snipped the plug and broke out a multi-meter. you should only need a tester light. but you know i have it so I'm gonna use it.

Tool required:
drill
drill bits
mounting hardware.
Electric tape (and or, wire nuts, crimp connectors)
wire cutter
wire stripper (theres several ways to strip a wire, don't always need a stripper)
new license plate light
Wire tester. (unless you have a wiring diagram.)
101_0124.jpg

I don't have pictures of the drilling as i was doing the stud replacement and my dad wouldn't let me use his bits.
But just mark your holes with a center punch. Find the diameter of mounting hardware your going to use. And drill it. mount it up.

Step one: snip off the old connector. and strip the wires.
101_0118.jpg

Step 2 : (turn your lights on) test to find which of the wire is positive. If using a testing light. It will obviously light up when you find power. On a multimeter Positive will obviously show voltage. If you got the positive probe on the wrong wire there will be a negative (-) before the voltage count.

I found that the right wire was positive.

Step 3: (turn you lights off) twist the positive wire from the light on the positive wire from the truck. Then cover with a electrical tape (or black tape).
don't use duck tape. duck tape has conductive propertys to it. could cause a short or a ground out.
101_0120.jpg

Step 4: make sure you either snip off what you've stripped on the negative wire from the truck. Or you can just bend the end over and cover it with tape. So that theres not stress on the connection. take the remaining bit of wire and run it along the wire cover from the truck and leave a little bit of slack for connection and tape it up out of th way. (zip ties work to, don't zip them down to far)

101_0123.jpg

step 5: not really a step just turn on your lights and make sure the light comes on, on the license plate light.
101_0126.jpg

just some pics of the finished product.
101_0121.jpg

101_0122.jpg

101_0125.jpg

Now theres several different ways to do this. But this is the way i did it. Fairly simple isnt it?. Thought id post a tech article about it.

Anthony

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Nice little write up Anthony. That kind of stuff seems basic to people that know how to do it but for folks like me that would help if I had that problem.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
yeah. Im just mechanically inclined. Ive never done trailer lights. But it was pretty obvious.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Good one I do this all time . The stocker r always getting trashed . Cheap fix.

Good one I do this all time . The stocker r always getting trashed . Cheap fix.

agreed - mine is trashed. tried to replace a bulb and never could get the whole thing back together. good reminder that i need to replace it like you did

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
yea i got pissed when i culdnt get it apart to replace the bulb so i kicked it...it fell through.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
note: that light doesnt shine the area needed, It only seems to get the side of the license plate. Im going to try and shim it, Or dremel out the top of the cover to get it to shine in the right spots. Ill snap some pics and let ya know how it went

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well i went and did some adjusting with some tin snips and a pair of needle nose. We will see what happens tonight.

Had to use some black tape to go over the gap between the metal and the plastic lens. Don't want water in there.

101_0148.jpg

101_0150.jpg

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i was going to nice clean cuts with a dremel but the damn thing would turn on.

Storm

Beats the hell out of $16 lenses.. I just priced them with my dealer contact.. $16 a side.. LMAO.. I'll duct tape a LAMP to that dang thing ROFL

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
yep thats what mine where quouted at as well. screw that.

well the mod worked. the light fades as it gets to the edge of my license plate. But hey its only got 4 numbers on it, if a cop cant read that, he shouldnt be driving.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts