Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is this normal?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Still trying to track down vibrations... Both my rear tires do this a bit... This one is a bit more severe than the other:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Dunno never done that before....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Is the center of the wheel bigger than the round part it fits over on the hub? That would let it wobble by being off center (maybe).
Rear tire on a non-full floating axle. It doesn't have a hub back there. Lugs are the only thing holding it in place.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
This is a 9", but the round part is what I was talking about. The wheel should fit it. That is what holds the wheel/tire centered.

oct10.jpg

Maybe your does not have the "hub" (round part) sticking out.
No I don't believe there's a hub back there. Isn't there such a thing as wheel centering lugs?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
no hub back there. the wheel is lug centered not hub centered on the axles for these trucks

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I think it's more along the lines of a tire being out of round, since the wheel didn't appear to be moving, only the tire.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
He has the hub center . But most after market rims have large center since this bolt pattern was on so may rides.

The tire will do that . When they r made And jioned ( yiou can See dimple or joint in any tire) They come and go . You may have bands in tires going bad but the amount of time you had balanced the shop should have picked up on anything.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
that can happen when the wheel is warped. Its not bent, just warped.

If you dont believe me jack the back end up and watch the wheel as it turns from side. Looking over the sidewall. it will wiggle or bump.

I believe you have alloy wheels right or alu.? Well you cant tighten them down like steels. You tighten the wheels down snug. Then rotate the tire and wheel while the truck is jacked up and then snug it again.
Do the star tightening pattern.

The acorn style of your lugs how that it has the bevel tip and the rim is beveled in the opposite way. Well when you seat your lugs. It should line up yoru rim just fine.

Have you ever locked up your rear brakes on concrete? that could cause you tire to have a had wear spot.

if you dont properly tighten a alloy wheel or alu wheel. The wont line up and they will become loose.

i worked at a tire shop for a couple of years.

If its the tire. You can have the tire peoples fine the bad spot in the rim. and line up the tire approprietly .

But more than likely your wheels are warped, realy common in steels but can happen in alloys and alu wheels.

if your still paranoid about it. When you get everything set up, give me a call ill try and walk you through it. if you need call me ill pm you my number.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
They're aluminum wheels. And don't worry about it brother, I'm just gonna take it down to Les Schwab in a few days here. Thanks for the help.

that can happen when the wheel is warped. Its not bent, just warped.

If you dont believe me jack the back end up and watch the wheel as it turns from side. Looking over the sidewall. it will wiggle or bump.

I believe you have alloy wheels right or alu.? Well you cant tighten them down like steels. You tighten the wheels down snug. Then rotate the tire and wheel while the truck is jacked up and then snug it again.
Do the star tightening pattern.

The acorn style of your lugs how that it has the bevel tip and the rim is beveled in the opposite way. Well when you seat your lugs. It should line up yoru rim just fine.

Have you ever locked up your rear brakes on concrete? that could cause you tire to have a had wear spot.

if you dont properly tighten a alloy wheel or alu wheel. The wont line up and they will become loose.

i worked at a tire shop for a couple of years.

If its the tire. You can have the tire peoples fine the bad spot in the rim. and line up the tire approprietly .

But more than likely your wheels are warped, realy common in steels but can happen in alloys and alu wheels.

if your still paranoid about it. When you get everything set up, give me a call ill try and walk you through it. if you need call me ill pm you my number.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Thats not normal. Remember the problem I had the other weekend? Might wanna check for missing weights. Or it could be a bad tire.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Les schwab is a pretty good place. Gods of the tire shops. Dont let them short cut you though. Have them rotate the tire on the rim until it calls for less amount of weights.

they will think your an asshole. But its the right way to do it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Les schwab is a pretty good place. Gods of the tire shops. Dont let them short cut you though. Have them rotate the tire on the rim until it calls for less amount of weights.

they will think your an asshole. But its the right way to do it.
Yeah thats what I plan on doing :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts