Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New chapter to my driveline vibrations

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Whelp. I finally took my driveshaft down to get balanced... For $213 I got both pieces of the rear shaft balanced, got all the ujoints replaced with Spicers, had the center support bearing replaced with a Spicer bearing, and they even painted it!! (I didn't even ask for paint)

Anyways, the driveshaft was out of balanced AND bent!! He said it was definitely enough to cause vibrations and probably WAS causing vibrations :D So I haven't bolted the shaft back up cuz I'm still trying to track down a part, but I'll keep ya'll posted. Here's pics, isn't she pretty?

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01262.jpg

wow looks great. hopefully it solves your issue

while it's out, throw some grabber green on it

that, or barber-pole it

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yep don't take much . The longer the shaft seems more likely to get bent For me at least

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yeah i drove out there and fixed it for him. he did forget a 0 though. it was actually $2130. got some very expensive beer and used the pool. the pool was...just ok.
the money payed for the gas from NH to CA. i did forget the grabber green at my house though...

. . . .NOW, that you've gotten this square'd away and confirm'd, :headbang: Question comes to mind: ARE you going to replace/put back in the "shim" you have for that center bearing bracket????.......Can you say that the shimming WAS needed for this problem you have been having???? Did ya bother to ask those guy's at the DriveLine shop about's that shimming and maybe even gotten an answer of how much/max of shimming you could go????........just my thought's of throwin' at ya, Chris . . . . :suspicious: . . . .
[confused] . . . . . :wasntme:

mr. Charles

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
UPDATE: Drove the truck up to about 50mph and it still seemed to be shaking... :headbang: Although it was a really short drive and it seemed to get less sever as I drove so maybe I'm just braking in the u-joints, not sure on that. I'll keep ya'll posted when I get it on the freeway tomorrow.

Charles, I put the center support bearing shims BACK in with the driveshaft. Those are helping to remedy my shudder from a stop. Having the driveshaft balanced today was an effort to get rid of my vibration at higher speeds; two separate issues.

..........mr. Charles, I put the center support bearing shims BACK in with the driveshaft. Those are helping to remedy my shudder from a stop. Having the driveshaft balanced today was an effort to get rid of my vibration at higher speeds; two separate issues.

. . . .gotcha......YelloThumbUp..... :beer: ; . . . . just take it easy for your test drive for going on the freeeway at a higher speed's~n~all..........hate to hear about's your NEW DriveLine just left the freeway heading UP into the wild blue; :drop:
..... { ya know what i mean....:wasntme: }. . . . . .

mr. Charles

.......boy - O - BOY . . . . with that thing paint'd GLOSSY Black, it's gonna make all / everything else under that rigg of your's look awefully UgLy , like the dirt, . :suspicious: . . old parts, . .smilietease . . and the rust ! ! ! ...Oh My ! ! ! ......:eek: ... :hehehm: ... :p .....:fan:

mr. Charles :rofl2: :paranoid: :p

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Isn't it nice when people go above and beyond without having to ask? That's quality service. Looks good.
Yeah this place has incredible service.

First time I went in, the guy discounted the non-greaseable joints by quite a bit since they were much more expensive than the greaseables, and he goes "theres no reason why they should be that much more, I'll discount it for you".

The I went back today to buy more u-joints and have the driveline balanced, and the guy says "oh we don't have any more 790 joints..." --- "WHAT?!" :headbang: The drive down there is like 40 minutes. So he says "hang on 1 sec" Comes back with 4 or 5 boxes of ujoints and starts hot swapping caps back and forth and says "there, I made three 790 joints. That'll work :D"

Damn! Good service.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
.......boy - O - BOY . . . . with that thing paint'd GLOSSY Black, it's gonna make all / everything else under that rigg of your's look awefully UgLy , like the dirt, . :suspicious: . . old parts, . .smilietease . . and the rust ! ! ! ...Oh My ! ! ! ......:eek: ... :hehehm: ... :p .....:fan:

mr. Charles :rofl2: :paranoid: :p

Haha I know. I was talkin to Goose on the way home and I told him "those SOB's... Now I have to paint my entire undercarriage to match the driveshaft!" LOL! Thats okay, I was planning on painting it anyways.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i see a body off restro coming.

i see a body off restro coming.

. . . . .LOLOLOL ! ! ! . . :rolling laugh: . . CHRIS ? ? ? ? ....... the man with a "back_yard Pool, complete"d???? ...... yeah right, he'd most likely gather all the hippies & Gal's [~n~ gUy's..:rolleyes: ..] to come over and do the work for him.......:suspicious: ... :D ... :paranoid: ... :rofl2: ..... :hehehm:

mr. Charles

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
. . . . .LOLOLOL ! ! ! . . :rolling laugh: . . CHRIS ? ? ? ? ....... the man with a "back_yard Pool, complete"d???? ...... yeah right, he'd most likely gather all the hippies & Gal's [~n~ gUy's..:rolleyes: ..] to come over and do the work for him.......:suspicious: ... :D ... :paranoid: ... :rofl2: ..... :hehehm:

mr. Charles

'toetap' Maybe I'll think TWICE next time you need help with your HUB SWAP!! :p

'toetap' Maybe I'll think TWICE next time you need help with your HUB SWAP!! :p

. . . . WHAT ? ? ? jst tryin to get ya some recruit's for your upcoming [maaayB] work on your truck.....'wtf' .........O....k, guess i won't try & help ya out then . . . . . :icon_mecker: :rotz: :toilet::violin: 'toetap'

mr. Charles . . . :paranoid:

/

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts