Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Best Way To Carry Diesel Fuel Additives (Safe & Secure)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Many owners of diesel powered trucks use diesel fuel additives year round and especially in the winter. The problem is that many use pop bottles which leak or can disolve due to the additives put in them. The bottles that many of these additives come in were not meant to be tipped over or shaken after they are opened the first time.

Well.... look no further than the MSR brand of camping fuel bottles.

1) They are made for fuel.

2) The large size holds 33oz (enough for a double dose in a 44 gallon Excursion)

3) They have a gasket so they will not leak (even upside down).

I carry two of them at all times and use 33oz per fill up in my Excursion. For me this is a double dose of treatment... but I am after cetane boost and lubricity of the fuel pump and injectors.

Check BassPro, Cabela's and other camping stores for the MSR brand of fuel bottles. They are convenient and safe... key thing when carrying fuel additives year round.

Attachments

• Additive Fuel Bottles (MSR).jpg
I reuse the DK 32 oz bottle, I double dose with my 46 gal tank(tranfer flow).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I reuse the DK 32 oz bottle, I double dose with my 46 gal tank(tranfer flow).

My problem with the 32oz DK bottle is that it leaked. Without the original foil seal, it will spill if tipped.... or at least for me!!! This is why I went to the MSR fuel bottles.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
My problem with the 32oz DK bottle is that it leaked. Without the original foil seal, it will spill if tipped.... or at least for me!!! This is why I went to the MSR fuel bottles.
Oh boy will it leak. And it's hard to get out of a bedrug too!! On the other side, it sure was easy to get a buzz for a while. ROFL

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Keeping My EGR Valve & Turbo Clean!!!!!!

OK... if your not using diesel fuel additives year-round, then pay attention... as using the camping fuel bottles is a great way to ensure carrying your additives in all 4 seasons... and now that it is getting cold and VERY cold in many areas... using a high quality anti-gel is vital!!!

I use Power Service brand additives (grey bottle for 3 seasons and the white/anti-gel in the winter). I double-dose treat at every fill-up... which for me is 32oz to 44 gallons. I hold 44 gallons in my tank as I drive an Excursion which holds more than a pick-up.

MAIN WEB SITE LINK:
http://powerservice.com/

THREE SEASON USE (OR YEARROUND IF IN WARM CLIMATES):
http://powerservice.com/dk/

WINTER USE - ANTIGEL FORMULA:
http://powerservice.com/dfs/

I have spoken a few times to the Power Service people and have found them very helpful and insightful. With diesel fuel of such poor quality, adding back in aftermarket additives is vital. The adding of cetane improvers, injector cleaners, lubricity and anti-gel in the winter is key!!!

No other, or very few name brand additives offer all these benefits in one bottle and is widely available at very competitive pricing.

Why do I double-dose... I feel better that I have maximum protection. I do this after I spoke to PowerService a few years back and that single-dose is good, double is better and triple is a waste of money (their words).

As well, by double-dosing I believe that this is why my EGR valve, turbo and injectors are still factory original and have never given me any problems. The use of double-dosing since new has made for a cleaner and more efficient burn of the fuel which is leaving my EGR valve in good condition.

Now, keep in mind, Ihave never pulled and looked at my EGR valve, but everytime I get reflashed over the years it always checks out and my diesel mechanic manually actuates the EGR valve and it is working 100% perfectly!!!!

Maybe I am just lucky or the PowerService products at double-dosage rates is working... either way... I'm not changing. Double-dosing in the winter is vital as I never think twice about gelling up and for a few pennies or dollars at every fill-up... it is well worth it for peace of mind and security.

YelloThumbUp YelloThumbUp YelloThumbUp YelloThumbUp YelloThumbUp YelloThumbUp

Kep4

Jäger
Great info Jeff.

A company called Brunton also makes fuel bottles that would work. I found them on Amazon while looking for the MSR fuel bottles.

Sure does help avoid that stinky, sticky mess when the DK leaks past the cap.

I also double dose my 46 gallon tank. Got to show those pricey injectors some love and respect!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Great info Jeff.

A company called Brunton also makes fuel bottles that would work. I found them on Amazon while looking for the MSR fuel bottles.

Sure does help avoid that stinky, sticky mess when the DK leaks past the cap.

I also double dose my 46 gallon tank. Got to show those pricey injectors some love and respect!

Any camping fuel bottle will work as they are designed to hold "fuel like" chemicals safetly. I use the 32oz size bottles as this is "double dose rate" for my 44 gallon Excursion fuel tank (slightly more than double dose actually).

I carry two of them for normal driving and buy a few extra "smaller bottles" of the Powerservice when I go on a long vacation trip. In My Excursion, I carry this stuff in my spare tire carrier in the back.... and my heavy guage 25' extension cord for my block heater goes in the tire jack compartment on the right side/rear of my cargo area (boy do I love Excursions).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks for the info. Because of your reports I am using diesel klean every tank.

Use every tank and replace your fuel filters with Racor/Int'l/Motorcraft brand every 15,000 miles and you'll be fine!!!!

Now, keep in mind I double dose... but that's me... but I assume single is fine and what the directions call for... but after speaking with Powerservice, doubling is OK and the max recommended (triple dosing costs you more than the benefits provided).

Kep4

Jäger
I finally received the Brunton fuel bottles from my Amazon order. Tried it yesterday morning and it poured fairly well. There was some dripping from around the spout, but I think that I had it filled a bit too much. I jst dipped the bottle in the washer fluid bucket and wiped it clean so there was no smell in the cab from the drippings.

It didn't leak a drop while I had it in the cab for a week. I'm pleased! YelloThumbUp

I bought a bottle of MC Cetane Improver and transfer the Powerservice stuff in when it's gone. I can measure on the way in, pours great, admittedly though it does not look nearly as cool.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I finally received the Brunton fuel bottles from my Amazon order. Tried it yesterday morning and it poured fairly well. There was some dripping from around the spout, but I think that I had it filled a bit too much. I jst dipped the bottle in the washer fluid bucket and wiped it clean so there was no smell in the cab from the drippings.

It didn't leak a drop while I had it in the cab for a week. I'm pleased! YelloThumbUp

Yep... check your bottles as there is a "fill line" mark on them. I find that in the summer, the bottles build up pressure from the heat of the summer and it can "squirt" out if not careful.

Camping fuel bottles are the best as they are designed for this kind of stuff and they do not leak and can be refilled over and over with the larger/cheaper jugs of fuel additives.

Ford Truck Articles