Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2002 v6 explorer 4x4

when I put my truck in 4x4high, while driving and if I take my foot off of the gas, as the truck slows down, it begins to grown loudly. when I make ANY turn in 4x4high there is also a loud growning noise and like a jerking of the wheel back and forth. ive been told maybe the transfer case fluid needs changed or possibly the rear end differential fluid as well. my questions are is this true? has anyone ever had this problem?and if I do replace the fkyid it calls for mercon atf which is no longer made and states mercon V is not interchangeable.....please help!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
sounds like you've got a bad locking mechanism on one of your hubs. (Backside next to your cv joint).

Fellro

Staff member
Quick question regarding the jerking... when and where are you having this happen? Do not try that on dry pavement, you must have slippage or that will always happen. The problem is that the inner wheel is trying to turn faster than the outer wheel, and the transfer case is binding it all together.

Now for the fluid. The old Mercon was replaced by what is now known as Dex/Merc. Merc V is a synthetic version that is also much more expensive.

If your rear diff was making noises like that, changing the fluid in it will not fix it, as the damage would already have happened.

the jerkin of the wheel happens while on snow covered roads while turning a normal corner.(only in 4x4high) the wheel kicks back n forth and there is like clunking noise and a loud howl or grown... ive located transfercase fluid from ford which is rather cheap.. while in 4x4 auto I have none of these issues

and in reguards to a bad lockin mechanisum on the bus... I just replaced a front passenger wheel bearing as well as a driver back wheel bearing.. this locking mechanism, is it located in the actual hub? or can this be changed by itself?
thanks you guys for taking time to answer my questions!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts