Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

LEBs 521

SC
It seems for the past several years Ive only built trucks/engines for other people. This winter its finally my turn. All prep and assembly is done in house here at Left Eye Blind with balance and machine work done by a very reputable, race oriented, machine shop.

Block prep. Oil galley smoothed and rear drain backs enlarged and radiused. I have also added a front oil drain back hole, enlarged the filter inlet and added a direct oiling port to the distributor gear - yes these mods mean drilling holes in your block while avoiding your water and oil passages.

Front drain back

Gauge

Another thing we did was tap the freeze plug holes to accept NPT pipe plugs. Adds some rigidity to the block and less likely for the drive in plugs to pop out under load or block twist(yeah it happens at higher horsepower levels) with motor plates.

ARP main, head and oil pump studs installed and also added a block mounted oil pressure gauge.

We only use King engine bearings, Felpro/FRPP gaskets and Jomar non-bypass oil filters on all LEB street and race engines. These are King HP pro series bearings and a FRPP gasket set with one piece oil pan gasket and Cometic valve cover gaskets.

Forged 4.300" crank balanced to 9000rpm.

Canton main girdle. The front driver side is windowed for use with the Kaase oil pump. The ARP main studs will not work with this girdle so I bought ARP main bolts +.500" instead. If anyone is interested I will sell the main studs pictured above for $75 shipped - in factory box with ARP moly lube and sticker. Mock up time only. Never ran.

Kaase high volume oil pump and ARP drive shaft. Some clearance was required to miss the larger stroke.

Diamond forged -20cc pistons and 6.800" H-beam rods with ARP2000 rod bolts. Lightest piston matched to the heaviest rod and balanced to 9000rpm. Hellfire heavy NOS top ring and Akerly and Childs Xtreme 2nd ring and low tension oil ring packs. This combo at zero deck will make 11.2:1 comp.

All together and Canton windage tray mounted directly to the girdle. No clearancing was necessary to fit around the larger Kaase pump.

SC
Trick Flow 290 power port heads, bronze guides and 2.20/1.76" valves Professionally ported and flow bench tested. Made 370/243 cfm @.800" on a 4.625" bore and will easily support 800+hp.

Intake and exhaust ports.

Trick Flow Track Heat single plane intake. Ported and powder coated.

Comp Cams dual valve springs 1.550x1.900 installed height, Comp titanium valve spring retainers, Comp 10* locks, Comp spring locator cups and Howards positive stop valve seals. #bling #blang

Mechanical solid lift bump stick - will not be posting specs. Summit screwed me on my Crower cool face lifters today so it looks like it may be Monday before I have the top end together.

MSD Pro Billet distributor. Mechanical advance removed and locked out timing. I have something up my sleeve for this. Stay tuned.

Fabricated aluminum valve covers with breathers – yes both breathers are at the front of the motor, not staggered as usual.

Front motor plate and water pump block off

SC
Head assembly

Comp locator cups and valve seals

ARP rocker arm studs and TFS valve guides

2.20" and 1.76" stainless valves

Comp valvetrain assembly lube

Springs. Disassembled for cam break in

All done.

Comp (rebadged as TFS) 3/8 x .080 wall chromemoly pushrods

Bump stick - Isky rev lube on the lobes, Royal Purple assembly lube on the journals and Comp valvetrain lube on the gear

FRPP A460 billet 9 keyway timing chain. Currently set at 0* but that may change ARP cam bolt and thick washer

just stuck the timing chain cover on

I had some port mismatch between the timing chain cover, motor plate, block off plate and AN fitting plates.

You can see a little pink sticking out here.

Attention to detail is the difference between engine builders and engine assemblers.

Crank pulley spacer

Last edited:
SC
Man with 2.2 intake valves and a single plane intake, I bet that cam ain't mega wild.. Either way will be a torque monster, cause the massive stroke and bore

Why do you say that? Stock 460 intake valves are 2.08" and this cam is pretty damn crazy. Im looking to spin it 7400ish rpm.

Looks good Kris :beer:

Thanks Duncan.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Plan a business trip and come assemble my 434 :D

SC
Still havent put that thing together? Youre as bad as I am.

Have tools, will travel. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Of course not...I get sidetracked easily....and perfect....can you cross the border?

:D

SC
Duncan,
passport is ready to go. I require beer and cigars. Aside from that I work cheap.

this is a mud drag engine. 4000-7400 powerband and Ill probably end up with 5000 stall.

SC
Will it make you stagger and piss?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
SC
I just hope the C6 holds up. I dont really feel like dropping 2k on a transmission after my first race.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts