Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how to get the little rear slider window out of the track

one of my rear sliders is broken. i've got a complete replacement that i'd like to take the glass out of its slider and put in mine

how do i get the window out of it? i messed with it for a few minutes the other day and didn't see any way it was coming out without a hammer. there's got to be an easy way

...and no, i don't want to just swap in the whole new window.

No clue how to take part of it out. I have replaced the entire thing on a ranger before is all.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
All I can think of is pushing up and and the bottom popping out, sorta like a house sliding door. Just figured I'd give you some sort of idea.

All I can think of is pushing up and and the bottom popping out, sorta like a house sliding door. Just figured I'd give you some sort of idea.

. . . . IF that is the case, then that is how these out here are getting their rigg's broken into so easy & quietly........gonna half to let my other friend's around here know of this, as well as check and see IF there is any kind of movement that goes up & down for to removal of the middle glass window...........

mr. Charles

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
But the windows slide on the interior side of the window. It'd be impossible to push it up and out without any sort of grip. If that's how it's done. Lol.

But the windows slide on the interior side of the window. It'd be impossible to push it up and out without any sort of grip. If that's how it's done. Lol.

. . . . . maybe that is why it has been seen for showing broken end pieces left around the bed area???........[ aka: like from dental pick tool, or from those o-ring pick tool's, etc., etc.]

mr. Charles

yea it would have made sense to me that if i got it all the way open (windows to the side), there would be a channel to put the top up and swing the bottom out (as mentioned), but that's not the case. the channel is the same all the way across the window :(

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Ive never done it myself but i have heard that the only way is to push up from the bottom slider rail thingy and pop it out. Id be leary of damaging the channel but i suppose if you were careful..

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I'd still try tomtoc, most likely will be a pain but I'm thinking that's the only way to do it. Might just have to put some muscle into it. smilietease

I'd still try tomtoc, most likely will be a pain but I'm thinking that's the only way to do it. Might just have to put some muscle into it. smilietease
unfortunately i've tried with a good amount of muscle. i feel like anymore and i'll have a pile of broken glass in my hands.

i'll give it another muscle-shot today and let you guys know how it goes

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
unfortunately i've tried with a good amount of muscle. i feel like anymore and i'll have a pile of broken glass in my hands.

i'll give it another muscle-shot today and let you guys know how it goes

What year is your truck (and the slider in it)? The older ones you could live and pop out and in, but from the experiences I've had with my slider, they're built one piece, and don't come apart. Don't ask me how I KNOW this, but I know it ;)

Gunner

UPDATE: i got the slider out of the old window, now i just need it in the truck

i had 1 foot on the bottom of the frame, a hand on the top and just tried to separate them and finally got the glass out. problem now is i can't get it back into the truck b/c obviously a frame in the truck won't give as much.

...might have to cut 1/4-1/2" off the top or bottom of the glass

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
UPDATE: i got the slider out of the old window, now i just need it in the truck

i had 1 foot on the bottom of the frame, a hand on the top and just tried to separate them and finally got the glass out. problem now is i can't get it back into the truck b/c obviously a frame in the truck won't give as much.

...might have to cut 1/4-1/2" off the top or bottom of the glass

Don't do it. You're insurance company ever gets wind of this, and you truck gets broken into or stolen, and you're hosed.

Gunner

Don't do it. You're insurance company ever gets wind of this, and you truck gets broken into or stolen, and you're hosed.

Gunner

so should i leave the plexiglass and electrical tape that is 1" too short and 3" too wide?

well unless someone has a miracle idea guaranteed to work, this thread is closed. after far too long, the plexiglass is all electrical-taped back in there. thanks anyway fellas

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts