Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help/Thoughts on company vehicle for wifey please.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hey Fellas,

As you know, we are upgrading both of our dd to help out on taxes :headbang: this year and it just so happened, that the one leading our list of vehicles we've been looking at is this Expedition.....my wife isn't as hard a Ford person as I am and will drive anything depending on the deal she gets. Our last family DD was a Durango and served us well for the last 5 years.

Here's the ad:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4033446352.html

KBB:
Exc $20418
VG $19868
G $19368
Fair $18068

It's a true one owner, the guy bought it brand new in 2007.

He's asking $16488 and we agreed on $15k assuming everything looks good in person and on the test drive.

I did ask if he'd email me pics of the underneath and engine bay and that's where my concern is. Not too concerned as it looks like surface rust, but thought I'd check and see if you had any thoughts before we went through with the deal.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^working on posting pics he just sent of the underneath.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
IMG_0012_2.JPG

IMG_0008_2.JPG

IMG_0006_2.JPG

IMG_0005_2.JPG

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^2 more coming.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
IMG_0016_2.JPG

IMG_0015_2.JPG

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Woo that's a lot of surface rust...

We're a tad concerned about it.....it almost looks treatable with some chemicals, right? I don't see any rot.....it is a New England vehicle.

Think it's a deal breaker?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm not familiar with weather conditions in the Northeast, but my concern would be the amount of corrosion on that A/C or transmission line(whichever one it is) That looks like more than surface rust.

Other than that, I know nothing......

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I don't think that amount of rust is unusual for a 6-7 year old vehicle in your region. Having said that, my 2005 F150 with 170,000 miles has much, much less rust than that. I'm a little leery about that much frame rust. This part of Missouri does not have a 'southern' climate, so my truck hasn't gotten a spoiled life of no road salt.

Ryan

Imo Ken if you are planning on keeping your wife's d/d for at least 5 years maybe you could look at taking a family holiday down to the southern states and buying a vehicle down there with a nice road trip home ........ seeing as it's a company car buying trip some of it could even be tax deductible (gotta stick it to the govt wherever you can eh) plus i think you'd get a better car for your $$$$ and less maintenance issues where rust is concerned anyway.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Doesn't seem to be a crazy amount of rust...I'd want to look at it in person.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Imo Ken if you are planning on keeping your wife's d/d for at least 5 years maybe you could look at taking a family holiday down to the southern states and buying a vehicle down there with a nice road trip home ........ seeing as it's a company car buying trip some of it could even be tax deductible (gotta stick it to the govt wherever you can eh) plus i think you'd get a better car for your $$$$ and less maintenance issues where rust is concerned anyway.

Some of it? I'd write it all off! :) I hear what you're saying....we thought of that and are considering the cost of traveling, even though it'd be tax deductible, it's still out of pocket and must go into the cost of the vehicle for consideration.....the vehicle itself, no matter what part of the country will be tax deductible anyways.......we have two young ones that won't travel very well and we need to do something by the end of this year.....we have time and I think something will come up....I may go take a look at this Expedition to make sure myself and see in person.

Doesn't seem to be a crazy amount of rust...I'd want to look at it in person.

Thanks guys.....I think I may take a peak!

Fellro

Staff member
The factory paint/covering doesn't last real long any more, and with the nasty crap they put down as pretreatment on the roads these days, it doesn't take long to rot up a vehicle. The frame rust is minimal to what I am used to. I would be more concerned about thinner material like floor pans and rocker panels. My mom's 02 Buick is rotting up more than I would like, but that is the nature of the crap they put on the roads these days. It also has nearly 400,000 miles on it... Lines are replaceable, I wouldn't let that stop me if everything else is clean. The important part is what cannot be just bolted on that is damaged. If all sheet metal is clean, I wouldn't worry too much about the rust.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
That rust looks normal for the area we are in Ken.
I wouldn't worry to much about it like Roger said.
If it is possible to go down south VA or lower you will find rust free but the downside is it is harder to find 4x4's down there.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The factory paint/covering doesn't last real long any more, and with the nasty crap they put down as pretreatment on the roads these days, it doesn't take long to rot up a vehicle. The frame rust is minimal to what I am used to. I would be more concerned about thinner material like floor pans and rocker panels. My mom's 902 Buick is rotting up more than I would like, but that is the nature of the crap they put on the roads these days. It also has nearly 400,000 miles on it... Lines are replaceable, I wouldn't let that stop me if everything else is clean. The important part is what cannot be just bolted on that is damaged. If all sheet metal is clean, I wouldn't worry too much about the rust.

Kinda how I feel also....thanks. With the price being the way it is, it deserves a closer physical look for sure.

That rust looks normal for the area we are in Ken.
I wouldn't worry to much about it like Roger said.
If it is possible to go down south VA or lower you will find rust free but the downside is it is harder to find 4x4's down there.

Definitely normal for a 6 year old New England vehicle....still has decent miles at 75k and for the price to book....not bad at all.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It's official......spent a lot of time w the po....frame is super solid. ...rockers will need some attention soon, but rest of the vehicle is immaculate.

20131018_163542_zps41fc3d52.jpg

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
20131018_155750_zps4f0ecef1.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
F150 tomorrow! :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts