Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tire Time For Me

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Ok so a little reason why im looking.. first of all i seem to have 1 tire thats outta balance (no biggie there only feel it slightly at highway).. nbut combine that with a bad alignment that really wants to go RIGHT on the straights seems to have killed my front ones... (rear ones still look newish).. SO im just looking to get 2 news and then get it aligned.. which i suspect is the other half the reason the truck shakes like a witches titty in a Montana winter around 75mph.. woulda had the alignment done along time ago but money hasnt been plentiful since i bought the truck..

I mainly do alot of street and highway but the occasional "off the beaten path" adventures from time to time... running on really loose gravel, some loose dirt, occasional snow/ice fun... and i love to find the biggest puddles around to make a nice big splash when i can.. hehe (who doesnt in trucks like ours??? lol).. I had one friend say he liked the BFG Rugged Trail ones.. but apparently BFG is discontinuing that line and i cant find them... They have a new one out called Rugged Terrain.. but the reviews ive read about people with similar trucks to mine havent been well to put it mildly werent very pleasant.. were "ok" in wet.. dry they all described vibrations at highway with heavy pulling in the wheel wanting to "self steer".. some complained of the road noise others didnt.. either way the reviews didnt make it sound like a good one to get.. which disappointing me since im a big BFG fan...

I like the looks of the Goodyear Wranglers.. but i have a personal Grudge against GY and absolutely refuse to ever buy another one of their tires... which is a big reason why i usually refer to them as Crapyears.. ive never had a good experience with them..

but anyways.. back to why i started the thread... ive pretty much narrowed it down to 2 tires for mine.. and was curious to what yall SD lovers think... I Know amongst the mustang guys the Nitto brand seems to get high praise all over for its performance.. and of the few reviews ive found the truck guys seem to be loving them too... Apparently they only make one to fit my truck so was wondering if you guys had any experience running the Nitto Dura Grappler?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&yr=2004&pc=40420&counter=0&ar=85&rd=16&vid=013949&cs=235

The other i was looking at a few other friends are giving high praise over as well is the Michelin LTX M/S 2...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&yr=2004&pc=35744&counter=0&ar=85&rd=16&vid=013949&cs=235

both are mostly a highway/street tire and from what ive heard are great at expelling the rain water.. supposedly excellent snow traction, and tread wears excellent.. so just curious any opinions on these??

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I like the BFG All Terrains...wear well, reasonable off road traction and great in snow and rain.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I like the BFG All Terrains...wear well, reasonable off road traction and great in snow and rain.

the KO ones?? i looked at them... I like their looks but a lot of the people i talk to said they were a bit "noisy" at highway.. others spoke of a pull... one actually said "on highway theyre not very stable"... anything like that with yours?? but they seem to get a 9/10 rating everywhere i look...

i also should say im looking for a nicer fuel efficient tire too.. since i got mine mainly for long highway runs.. (trip vehicle).. yes i realise f350's arent very fuel friendly but if you can pick up an extra 1-3 more mpgs its always nicer on the pocket book...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes and mine are on a 350 as well, but not a dually. No pull and minimal noise...very happy at 70-80 mph. Seem perfectly stable to me...last long trip I had the quad on the box lid and a small utility trailer and did some passing that wound up being around 100 mph and no complaints.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I went with the BFG KOs on my truck at the recommendation of Duncan and many others... I'm very happy with them, but I have had the Michelin LTX MS before and they are also an excellent tire. Not as much traction as the BFG but very quiet, smooth and long wearing.

Nittos I hear don't last as long, otherwise an ok tire.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Yes and mine are on a 350 as well, but not a dually. No pull and minimal noise...very happy at 70-80 mph. Seem perfectly stable to me...last long trip I had the quad on the box lid and a small utility trailer and did some passing that wound up being around 100 mph and no complaints.

hmmm good to know there... by minimal noise though what do you mean?? like a radio on low cover them up??

I went with the BFG KOs on my truck at the recommendation of Duncan and many others... I'm very happy with them, but I have had the Michelin LTX MS before and they are also an excellent tire. Not as much traction as the BFG but very quiet, smooth and long wearing.

Nittos I hear don't last as long, otherwise an ok tire.

Thanks matt :) good to know..

thats odd about the nittos not lasting as long though.. reviews i saw ppl said they were getting a good 60-70K outta them even on twisty mountain roads...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
hmmm good to know there... by minimal noise though what do you mean?? like a radio on low cover them up??

I don't notice them at all...and I don't play the radio loud at all...I can have normal conversations with a passenger with no problems..the engine is louder.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Alot of it depends on application. Many of the reviews are going to be from people who have a different size than you...

What size are you looking for anyway?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I don't notice them at all...and I don't play the radio loud at all...I can have normal conversations with a passenger with no problems..the engine is louder.

Id rather have it up.. but on trips i usually cart the parental with me and frequently hear "thats too loud!!!!" essh only trying to hear the stupid thing... lol

Alot of it depends on application. Many of the reviews are going to be from people who have a different size than you...

What size are you looking for anyway?

couldnt tell you on the different sizes part.. the sites dont take that info so could be true there.. i know the GT guys dont seem to like the ones i use on my stang and theyre wider than mine.. so could be a possibility there...

Im just going with stock.. 235/85/16.. ive never been into the whole "change the rims put the biggest size under there" thing... i love my stock look..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Mine are 265/80/18 I think.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
new question about the KO's for their ride comfort.. they a tire youll feel every bump in the road with?? or do they give for a softer ride?? thats another thing ive always heard when it came to AT tires is they were roughish riding due to their rigidity...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
new question about the KO's for their ride comfort.. they a tire youll feel every bump in the road with?? or do they give for a softer ride?? thats another thing ive always heard when it came to AT tires is they were roughish riding due to their rigidity...

I run mine at 65 front and 60 rear and the ride is great.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
the rear on mine are 80... but the front i tried to keep between 65-70 as well..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
the rear on mine are 80... but the front i tried to keep between 65-70 as well..

How much load do you carry?....I'd do the chalk test and see what you can lower them to.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
most the time nothing really... but every now and then ive put the 1 ton rating to the test.. lol i just dont want to have to air up and down when i do and dont need it...

IMG-20130421-00264_zps8d51d380.jpg

1.5tons of stone in the bed.. lol that was fun.. smoothed out the truck too.. felt like it was riding on perfect glass.. made it squat a little too lol..

IMG-20130421-00266_zps76bb0b57.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
very.. found out something interesting too.. apparently ford setup the VGT's to act as an engine brake when you put it in tow haul mode.. used it a couple times empty on 13% grades and flat land when i had the 1.5 tons in it..

course if you liked that youll enjoy this lol...

Irony_zps18d13886.jpg

for all the ford jokes i find this little bit of irony funny... which if you add to the fact my hitch cover says "remove to tow chevs" makes it all that more funny...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I use the tow/haul a lot...works great for slowing down even in regular situations.
My truck has 80k miles and has 90% of the original pads on it.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
mine has 122K on it... and all ive done this yr is replace things the PO abused to death.. engine i know only has about 60K on it.. they had to replace it at 54K..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Holy crap, the previous engine must have been either beat on or poorly looked after.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts