Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Squeaky Door Panels

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
How do you guys prevent your door panels from squeaking and rattling? I'm really not sure what to do. I tried to line the entire perimeter of the door panel with tape before, to prevent the plastic-to-metal contact but it didn't help... I think it might have made it worse... Any secrets? I'm thinking I'm gonna replace all the little christmas tree clips in them pretty soon but I'm not sure which ones are in there since I haven't had them off in a while...

I am not sure how yours are made. I used to keep a box of those "christmas trees" in the glove box of my ranger. Seems like everyone else's door panels rattled and I had to fix them.

What I usually ended up doing was pull the panels and see where they were hitting (marks in the paint). Then put that stick on weather striping that comes in rolls around wherever it was. The stuff I used was black foam and about 3/8" wide and maybe 1/4" thick before it was squished.

Other may have better ideas though.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i have a slight door squeal but my doors are also rattling too because of my bad top hinges. when i get those in and my new drivers side door on i will be taking care of that noise. i think your problem is the door panel itself is just loose where the clips are. do you have the door panel and the map holder as well? it might be the door panel saggin down and rubbing against the map holder on the bottom of the door.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
i have a slight door squeal but my doors are also rattling too because of my bad top hinges. when i get those in and my new drivers side door on i will be taking care of that noise. i think your problem is the door panel itself is just loose where the clips are. do you have the door panel and the map holder as well? it might be the door panel saggin down and rubbing against the map holder on the bottom of the door.
The door panel is one piece all the way from the window to the door jam at the bottom.

Brian the weatherstripping idea is pretty good, I've used that stuff before for other things. Might give that a go when I replace the christmas tree clips :)

your door panels are attached via clips and screws, so it's just a matter of replacing the clips with new ones that aren't worn out. Sometimes you have to put washers behind the panel where the screws to, to tighten those up as well.

Or, you could just replace the clips with allen bolts by drilling through the door panel making for a "rugged", intentional look. I did this on my old 81 crewcab, and it came out fairly nice. Black interior, stainless allen bolts and washers.

Another "trick" is to remove the panel, and shove a section of chair padding that you buy at a place like joanne fabrics. It's just a big spong really, and are fairly compressable. This also can help keep things quiet as it adds a little pressure on the door panel to keep it from moving away from the screws/clips.

Or like with my 93 crewcab, I just turn the radio up a bit more :D

....Or like with my 93 crewcab, I just turn the radio up a bit more :D

Well...if you are going to get all fancy on us...

my 56 does not even have door panels to rattle in the first place.

Then again...it does not have a radio either (thankfully).

I find a radio necessary. If it weren't for jazz music while driving through the crowded NJ streets/highways, I'd be deliberately running over zig-zagging imports.

I can afford a radio much better than increased insurance :D

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i dont think brian could hear his radio..or the door panels rattle.

it has door panels...well sorta. access panels right brian?

The door panels on my 67 are nothing but a material simliar to card board with vinyl drape over it and screwed to the door.

As for my door panels. Im missing a few screws and it makes all kinds of noise. But i also got stuff liek wrenches in the pockets and stuff. So its going to make some noise. I got a tool box lid that rattles as well. And wind noise, i jsut turn up the stereo does wonders..

On top of that i got glass packs so my stereo barely drowns out the exhuast.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
your door panels are attached via clips and screws, so it's just a matter of replacing the clips with new ones that aren't worn out. Sometimes you have to put washers behind the panel where the screws to, to tighten those up as well.

Or, you could just replace the clips with allen bolts by drilling through the door panel making for a "rugged", intentional look. I did this on my old 81 crewcab, and it came out fairly nice. Black interior, stainless allen bolts and washers.

Another "trick" is to remove the panel, and shove a section of chair padding that you buy at a place like joanne fabrics. It's just a big spong really, and are fairly compressable. This also can help keep things quiet as it adds a little pressure on the door panel to keep it from moving away from the screws/clips.

Or like with my 93 crewcab, I just turn the radio up a bit more :D
Hey the chair pad ain't a bad idea... Would just have to make sure to cut holes where the clips and screws have to go through... I might do that :) Thanks Frederic.

the chair pads I'm referring to are softer and more flexible than a common sponge. You could easily crumple a 1" thick, 24x12" pad into a baseball-sized wad, which would spring back immediately when you release it.

You could screw right through it no problem. I did just that when repairing a chair that has a velvet covered pad in the center, and would trim around it. I screwed the wood trim right through the edges of the pad and fabric, for clean lines and a nice finished "tucked" look. This way the pad appeared to be part of the wood rather than simply tacked on top.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
the chair pads I'm referring to are softer and more flexible than a common sponge. You could easily crumple a 1" thick, 24x12" pad into a baseball-sized wad, which would spring back immediately when you release it.

You could screw right through it no problem. I did just that when repairing a chair that has a velvet covered pad in the center, and would trim around it. I screwed the wood trim right through the edges of the pad and fabric, for clean lines and a nice finished "tucked" look. This way the pad appeared to be part of the wood rather than simply tacked on top.
Yeah I kinda figured I could screw through it, but I bet I'd have a tough time pushing the clips through ;)

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
push really hard ;)

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
you mean smaller?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
you mean smaller?
Ehhh... What? No, larger, so that the tree itself never touches the pad, while the pad still provides cushioning and resistance against the door panel near where the clip attaches.

Anyone know which clips I need for the door panels off the top of their head? I wanna get some no the way home but that would mean I'd have to take the panel off now, look at the clip, then put it back on, get clips, and take it off again. PAIN IN THE ARSE!

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i didnt know they made different sizes. I mean im sure they do...its not like there going to have a specific size...
Small would make it better, Whether or not the fabric got caught in the christmas tree it would make the fit tight. Plug a christmas tree isnt going to have an exact fit like a bolt. THink about how it works. Its going to have a bit of wiggle room.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
i didnt know they made different sizes. I mean im sure they do...its not like there going to have a specific size...
There WOULD be a specific size, because the TOP of the clip has to lock into the little channel on the door panel.

I went to Kragen a few weeks back to get some in the HELP section and there were 3 or 4 different varieties that said they were for Ford applications, and all of them were different from each other.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
See i knew it yall are weird in California. Out here in Oklahoma, You buy it in a variety pack...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts