Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

L600 that goes, but won't stop going.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
This truck has a 391FT, that has what I am told, air assist brakes.

There are no brake fluid leaks, and the master cylinder is full. Where do I start looking to find out why I have no brakes.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
What condition are all the components in? Shoes, lines, etc?

Basically, when's the last time you serviced the brakes?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I haven't.

However, it was like flipping a switch from excellent stopping ability, to zero stopping ability, not a gradual wear out process.

That leads me to believe that something just stopped working.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
That's always a possibility, have you also checked their adjustment?

Something could have broke too, m/c could have given up, etc. I'd say a service is needed.

Does it have a Hydro-Vac booster or Hydro-Boost like the powerstrokes use... The Hydro-Vac uses vaccuum and the Hydro-Boost uses a hydraulic pump to assist in the braking.... In the case of the Powerstrokes, they use the power steering pump.

I've had a Hydro-Vac go bad and while I didn't loose any pedal, the pedal was rock hard with little braking effect.... It was pretty scary... I found (while in a panic) that if I let up on the pedal and re-applied the brakes they would work.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
No idea how this thing works. Its a 1975, FYI.

I think it uses air to assist the normal hydraulic brakes. When I push the pedal, it goes down like normal, but slightly easier. Its not like there is nothing there. It makes the air let off sounds as normal.

Mine was a '72 F-600 that I later put a 9,000lb front axle, 22,000lb rear, and a 5,000 series 5 speed Spicer transmission in and under it from an F-800 ... When you applied the brakes there was a 'breather' behind the seat that would 'belch' a sound much like an air brake system.

Does yours have a compressor?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
It has an air tank. :D

I would assume it has a pump of some kind. Honestly, I have never paid any attention to this thing, because it just worked. It is parked in town now, at a job I didn't finish yesterday, so I can't go out and look at it. Its storming here now, so I won't head in until later when it quits.

I have been driving it to jobs, just shutting it off and using the engine to slow it down. Its the way of the Farmer. :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Oh, and I probably need to give it some attention, it also blew a chunk out of the passengers manifold about the size of a half dollar. :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Shut your face, or I will ban you.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I had a 62 f 600 that the cab mounts rusted out on. Putting on the brakes was useless, unless you pushed the clutch in, which raised the cab back up a little bit, then the brakes would work.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Mine was a '72 F-600 that I later put a 9,000lb front axle, 22,000lb rear, and a 5,000 series 5 speed Spicer transmission in and under it from an F-800 ... When you applied the brakes there was a 'breather' behind the seat that would 'belch' a sound much like an air brake system.

Does yours have a compressor?

Is that a 955 loader? Always thought they looked cool, never have had the chance to run a track loader though.

Seriously though josh, are you certain it has air? I know my c50 chevy had tanks that were actually vacuum reservoirs, for the vac boosters. It was just like pickup brakes, on a large scale.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Funny story about that top kick... The guy I bought it from has a brother. They both bought identical trucks, and his wouldn't shut off either. He spent over 2000 getting it fixed, because it was the governor/transfer pump.

Same thing happened to mine, and I spent 96 cents to fix it. ;) I will update that other thread with pics.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts